01

" FESTIVAL "

" DRAWN BY LIGHTS THAT GLEAM SO BRIGHT, 
LIKE A MOTH TO A FLAME IN THE NIGHT. 
THE GIRL TREADS THE PATH, 
THROUGH SHADOWS AND MAIM. 
BUT WHEN BLOODIED HANDS SEIZE HER, 
REFUSING TO RELEASE, 
SHE'S PULLED INTO DARKNESS, 
ITS GRASP A SINISTER CREASE. 
CONSUMED BY THE DEPTH, 
WHERE SHADOWS LOOM NEAR, 
SHE WONDERS, PERHAPS, 
SHE SHOULD NOT HAVE VENTURED HERE. "

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

When you entered the kitchen for breakfast, Ryotaka had already left for work. You spent your morning eating alone, as usual, and when you were done, you went looking for your one and only friend. Mika.

"I've already delivered the letter earlier this morning," Mika mentioned in the middle of the conversation.

"Thank you very much."

"No problem," she replied, voice strained as she struggled to reach the top of the window. A squeak could be heard every time the damp cloth slid across the glass.

"By the way," with a huff, she drops the cloth into the bucket of water below as she steps off the wooden chair. "Did you hear? There's going to be a festival tonight."

"Yeah, I heard."

Mika studied your expression for a few seconds before speaking again. "You don't want to go?"

"No, not really." You shrugged, following her down the hallway. "It's not like I've never been to a festival before."

"Oh... but I heard this one is different!"

"How so?"

"There will be fireworks at midnight," she exclaimed, unable to contain her excitement. She spun in a circle, accidentally spilling some water onto the floor. "Oops," she hugged the bucket of water to her chest, an embarrassed smile on her face.

The mention of fireworks instantly caught your attention. "For real?" you gasped. It had been ages since you had witnessed a fireworks display. All you could recall was your mother's hatred for loud sounds, which led her to avoid places like festivals. However, when you were seven, your father secretly took you to one, marking your first encounter with fireworks.

"I want to see the fireworks," you watch as Mika stepped on the last puddle of water before spreading it out.

"I'm personally more interested in the foods being sold at the festival," she stated, continuing down the hallway. "But fireworks are cool too."

"So, let's go."

Mika stopped walking abruptly, causing you to bump into her back. "Ouch," you muttered, stumbling back while you rubbed your nose.

"Go?" Mika turned around with a shocked expression. "You want us to go to the festival tonight?"

"Yeah, that's what I said. Weren't you listening?"

"Uhm, hellooo?" she waved a hand around. "What would Jinshoku-sama say?"

"Who cares about what he has to say?"