Chapter Eight

Cream and flour covered Ella's face along with large portions of the kitchen countertops. The only place untouched by the destruction were the careful arranged trays of pastries.

From the moment she'd returned home, Ella had been sent to cook. In only a few days their house was due to be visited by the duke to find the mystery princess. At first Ella thought to refuse. When was a better time to acquaint her family with the idea that they'd be bowing before her? It was always better to become accustomed to big changes sooner rather than later.

After some thought she'd decided the pastries would be her parting gift. There was no telling how long they'd have to suffer through Annie's horrific attempts to cook. If Ricky allowed it, maybe she could send one of the palace maids to teach the girls to care for themselves and their mother. It was far too late to teach the marchioness a new trick.

Ella clapped her hands, laughing at the cloud of flour that exploded from her palms. She'd never felt so light, unless she counted her night at the ball. It had to be counted though since it had been the catalyst for everything.

"Are you done?" Lady Tremaine asked. This time she courageously stepped into the old kitchen rather than lingering in the doorway.

"Yes, I think this will be enough even if the duke decides to bring an army," she joked.

Besides the pastries, a roast was cooking in the oven, fresh bread rested in baskets around the room, and perfectly ripe fruits were piled high in decorative bowls. It all looked like a bit much and normally she would have disagreed with the entire affair. That day, she was alright with not letting the duke see that his future queen came from a house of such low standing.

Both Annie and Drizella were spending large portions of the day resting so that they would appear well rested. Their mother forced them outside occasionally for the sunlight and to pick fresh flowers to decorate the halls. The chateau almost looked like a real home again.

Ella's preparations had been much more subtle. She didn't have much in the way of precious possessions so packing them in secret had been easy. The best pieces of her embroidery were wrapped around what remained of her mother's jewelry. Letters from her parents, both those they wrote to each other and to her, were tucked away in the leather folder her father had used to store his trade agreements.

The only thing not packed away was the glass slipped which was tucked away in the fireplace again where she could be sure it remained undisturbed. Thanks to her hours of cooking over the last few days she'd been able to ensure no one so much as thought about digging into the fireplace.

"An adequate job," Lady Tremaine said. She waved her long thin fingers at a bag that rested against the wall. "Take this to the back shed until after the guests have left. It's some things I've been meaning to dispose of but I don't want to air our garbage in such esteemed company."

The bag in question was a lumpy sack tied shut with a leather chord. Ella lifted it easily and she mused at what could be inside as she walked to the shed. The shed was another of the places on the property that was left untouched except by Ella. It was so far back some could have argued it wasn't part of their lands at all.

The door was always left closed, which made the wide open door and the chicken waiting just inside all the more confusing. "Come out of there you silly thing, you'll be eaten whole if an animal wanders by."

Ella dropped the sack into the shed and bent to lift the chicken. It clucked calmly under her arm but squealed loudly when the door slammed shut. The mid afternoon sun was blocked out, save for a few slivers coming through the cracks in the roof and along the top of the door. A flash of a green dress went by only moments before Drizella's giggles.