A rainy after school

A rainy after school was always a good sign. At least that's what Mi-ae thinks. Her parents had always told her about specific lucky days or times when she was little. Like when the clock strikes at 11:11, her mom told her to make a wish and one day it'll come true. Or when her dad told her to count planes until a thousand, her wish would come true.

Her mom told her about the rainy after school day. Mi-ae didn't believe it at first, but her mom proved her wrong. There was one time where it was raining after school was done and Mi-ae was at her house. Suddenly, her dad came home with three comic books! Oh, how she was so happy. A few more things happened, for example: when she got Moonk, it was a rainy after school day. Or when she got her favorite bag.

Something good always seemed to happen whenever school ended when it was raining. It didn't matter if the rain was heavy or light, you'll always get lucky.

This was one of the times where Mi-ae considered it a lucky rainy day.

Mi-ae and Cheol had agreed to stop at an antic shop downtown after school since it was a Friday. It was pretty far away so they had to take the bus. After a long conversation with their parents, they finally let them go.

When the two of them were walking to the bus stop, it suddenly rained. They ran as fast as they could to the bus stop. Thankfully, they were still wearing their uniforms so they used their jackets as a way to block the rain.

"The—... the weather reporter didn't say it… it was gonna rain today!" Mi-ae said between her breaths. The two teens were gasping for air. "You can't always— believe them…" Cheol barely mumbled.

At least we made it!

Mi-ae thought while smiling to herself.

They both sat down and waited for the bus to arrive. It felt like forever. The tension was eating both of them up, no one said anything.

Mi-ae wondered what she should talk about with Cheol. Cheol was a strange kid. He was unpredictable.

"Hey—"

"Do.. do you wanna listen to music… —uh, together… ?" Cheol rubbed his nape while holding one of his earphones out.

Mi-ae was in shock.

Is this… really Kim Cheol…?

"Quit staring and answer. Hearing music could kill time, you know." He looked at her, as if his eyes were silently hoping she would agree.

Sharing earphones with… Cheol…

Mi-ae slowly nodded and took the right earphones. Mi-ae noticed it was one of those earphones where you could still hear everything else around you even though the volume was at max.

Ah! I know this song!

Mi-ae swayed her head to the song. Enjoying herself.

The song suddenly stopped and Cheol took out his iPod. He showed her a song titled: "(Only) About Love"

"This song's about you." He calmly said, then pressed the play button.

It was only a nice gesture, a friendly compliment, a platonic thing he said. And yet, why is her heart beating so rapidly…?

She recognized the song, she knew what it was about. Was this… an indirect confession?! A lot of things were running in Hwang Mi-ae's brain.

She didn't know what to say or do.

So let's fly up to the moon and see
The stars from high above
With no rain, and no clouds
Only love.

Oh.

Hwang Mi-ae was definitely falling for Kim Cheol.

A rainy day after school is always lucky after all.

Cheol thought, while smiling to himself.