CHAPTER 1 - A Newlywed's Solitude

Start from the beginning

Penelope shook her head, her cheeks flushing with embarrassment and disappointment, "No, nothing like that Thomas." She replied softly, with a hint of sadness in her voice. "It was.. It was my.. My curses."

The duke's confusion was evident as he tried to make sense of her words. "Your curses?" He echoed, puzzled. "I am afraid I do not understand, my wife. Are you unwell?"

Penelope took a deep breath, steeling herself to explain. "No, Thomas, I am not unwell." Her voice remains tinged with sadness. "It was.. It was my monthly bleeding. It came this morning."

A wave of realization washed over Thomas as he understood her meaning, his heart sinking with sympathy to his wife. "Oh, Penelope.." He murmured, his voice filled with compassion as he reached out to take her hand in his lips. "I am sorry, my love. I did not realize.."

Penelope forced a brave smile, though tears glistened in her eyes. "It's all right, my love." She assured him, her voice trembling slightly. "I know it takes time.. But I could not help but feel... disheartened."

Thomas' heart ached at the sight of her sadness, his own frustration mirrored in her eyes. He pulls Penelope into his embrace, holding her close as he reassures her in the solace of his arms.

"Penelope, my love." Thomas began, his voice soft but resolute. "I want you to know that it is alright if we have not conceived yet. We've only been married a few months, and we have plenty of time ahead of us. We're still young, and there's no rush to fulfill our duty to the crown."

Penelope's eyes brimmed with emotion as she listened to Thomas' words, feeling a deep sense of gratitude for his understanding and support.

"But.." The duke continued, "Even if we were never able to have a child of our own, it would not change how much I love you or how happy you make me. Titles and heirs are important, yes, but what truly matters is that we love each other and are happy together." Thomas looks directly at Penelope's crystal blue eyes as he utters his words.

Penelope nodded, her heart swelling with love for her husband. The redhead duchess could feel the sincerity of her husband's words as she stared back at his ocean blue eyes. "Thank you, Thomas." She said softly. "But I still want to be a mother, and I want to give you an heir for your titles. Can you promise me that we'll keep trying?"

Thomas' lips curved into a tender smile as he leaned in to press a gentle kiss to Penelope's forehead. "Of course, my love." He whispered. "I promise we'll keep trying, for as long as it takes. But no matter what happens, I will always be by your side, loving you with all my heart." He plants a sensual kiss to his wife's lips, which Penelope returns with fervor.

After Thomas had finally addressed the thoughts that had been bothering his wife, he asked her to join him at the dining hall for a meal. As he was told by their butler that Penelope had not had her afternoon meal yet, he would not let the day pass without her filling in some sustenance.

As they settled into the opulent dining hall, the Duke and Duchess were attended to with impeccable grace by Jefferson, and Mary, the housekeeper. The flickering candlelight cast a soft glow over the polished silverware and fine china, lending an air of intimacy to the grandeur of the room.

"Penelope, my love." Thomas began, his voice carrying a tone of thoughtful consideration. "I was thinking it might be pleasant for us to have some company here at Alnwick for the off-season. Is there anyone you would like to invite?"

The redhead duchess pondered for a moment, her brow furrowing in concentration. "Unfortunately, mama and prudence are in Cornwall." She replied, a hint of disappointment in her voice as her remaining immediate family members will not be available. They might not be the brightest of the people she knew, but it would help her to have some familial relations at bay, while she tries to steady her stand as the new lady of the duchy.