Chapter 1-The Market

The market's usual steady flow of customers couldn't compare to the crowds of outsiders traveling through their smalltown during festival week. The outsiders usual brightly colored dresses and cloaks, accented with different colored jeweled, were gone, their dress now black and plain like the rest of the locals.

To a stranger's eye everyone looked the same, dressed in black with the occasional tan servant tunics. Even those rare few who didn't adorn the mourning black attire still found some dark accent to pin to themselves or a coal marking on their arm in the shape of the seven-pointed star.

But the locals knew the differences between them, be it the jingle of their silver bracelets hidden beneath their sleeves as they walked and sneered at each of the merchants or the snicker and whispers under their black hoods at the locals thicker, itchier, more uncomfortable black attire, as if they were the ones out of place.

The locals stood more stiff, aware of the watchful eyes. The merchants or servants who usually laughed and gossiped during the usual market days were now all too aware of their master's rare appearance and didn't speak or smile unless absolutely necessary.

To Kore it seemed like the town was growing in outsiders she'd never seen before who didn't bother looking her way at all. She was all too used to being ignored and if she was honest, she'd prefer it at times, but it made selling her tarts a bit more difficult.

Kore's stomach grumbled at the scent of cinnamon lingering in the air. All morning that same smell had been enticing her usual customers to her table. She often sold out of every flavor before the high heat of the day, thanks to the locals that started their shopping earlier to avoid the eye of the outsiders.

Three days ago had been her highest selling day like always, the day of Demeter, when offerings were usually given of what the goddess allowed them to grow. Most of the food merchants had to plan weeks in advance for the emerald goddess's day but Kore liked baking, so it didn't feel like much of a chore. It was the bartering she despised.

Kore wiped her damp forehead with the back of her palm as a stiff woman in a sun damaged dark cloak approached Kore's table with three coins cradled in her hand, "I'll take three of the strawberry ones?" She looked down at the three plates of golden crusted tarts with filling pouring out of the creases.

"All strawberry? I have fig and lemon too. The lemons are from Marianne's and the strawberries and figs are from Konstantina's. My personal favorite is the lemon." Kore's tongue melted a little just thinking about the perfect balance of sweet and tart. Why hadn't she eaten more before she left?

"Oh, ummm.. I don't know, the girls all said strawberry was their favorite." She looked at the lemon tart more curious leaning a little too far, shifting the uneven table slightly causing the plates clinking together.

"It's fine." Kore quickly told the woman whose face reddened with embarrassment. She slipped her sandal off and bent down to shove it under the wooden leg just as something hit the brick wall behind her. Coins showered onto the ground.

Fucking Styx.

"Are you okay?" The woman asked, her hand clutching her chest as she leaned even further over the table to see.

"Mhm. Fine. Sorry, it happens all the time" She tested the table without gathering the coins at her feet. It still shifted but not enough to send the plates crashing together again.

"People throw money at you all the time? I'm not sure if I'd be upset about that." The woman chuckled uncomfortable.

Kore mimicked her giggle to not appear as annoyed as she was, "How about three strawberry tarts and I'll throw in a lemon too?" She moved to stack the tarts together to avoid the woman's curious stare who was still weighing the coins in her hands.