Waiting game

That night I dreamed I was a bird in a cage without a way out. A version of myself had the key and no matter how I screamed she just laughed and dangled the key before me.

The next day was just another day for me. It started from them drawing blood. Then breakfast. Then scans, lunch, and more scans. In the afternoon I have time of to walk on the beach and curl up with my newest romance book which is about a girl who time travels and finds herself captured by the pirate king. Luckily, the hospital was next to the beach, so I did not have to be cooped up in the room the entire day. I was just at the part of the book where the pirate king gets ready to kiss her. But suddenly someone calls my name and I see James coming towards me. His still in his surfing gear and looks mighty fine with his damp hair clinging to his head and his six pack slightly showing. I lightly fan myself. Get your head out of the gutter. I scold myself. Its James, the tomboy who ran away from you and stole your books, your brother's best friend. "Afternoon Mandy, how are you today" James asks. "Fine, just reading" I reply.

"Have you heard from Jayden" he asks. "He called and said he arrived safely and when he settled he will call again" I say. "Why are you here" I ask. "This beach has the best waves" he replies. "Really, it doesn't have anything to do with my brother asking to keep an out for me" I ask knowing the answer. "No way, I just missed surfing" he answers while he smiles. Then he puts his towels next to mine and sits down. "Have you got any results back" he asks. "Not yet will probably get it tomorrow" I reply looking at the ocean. "Well, there's no point just sitting around" he says while grabbing my book and stands up. "Hey, give it back" I say while trying to get it back, but he is too tall, and I try jumping for it. He flips through a few pages and makes a shocked face. "How can you read this garbage, what would your brother says." he asks. "Well, I have to live my live through the books if I can't live my live as I want it because of my condition,. Sometimes I am not even permitted to leave my room and then I escape through my books. Sometimes it is faraway places with dragons and mystical creatures. Other books are nearer to home with mysteries to solve and people to safe" I say sadly.

"I'm sorry Mandy, I was insensitive. I cannot even think how tough it was for you and I was not even here for support " he replies sadly giving my book back. "Thanks, but you didn't have to worry about me. I had a support system, and you were busy saving people" "But you are special to me, and I should have been here for you" he says while taking my hands and squeezing it slightly. I look downwards towards our joined hands and blushes slightly. "And of course for Jayden" he adds quickly pulling his hands away and stepping away. Suddenly I mis his heat near me.

He thinks for a moment and smiles. I see the dimple which makes my knees go weak. "Well, there's no use for just sitting and waiting. Why don't we have fun? Just for today live your live as it is your last" he says reaching his out for me. "You're right, I'm overdue for some fun. What do you have in mind" I ask while putting my book in my bag and taking his hand. "How about a race to the water, the winner can choose anything they want the other person to do" he says. "Deal, luckily for you I wore my swimming clothes today" I reply while I shake his hand and we hold longer on than necessary. We quickly take off our clothes and now we are standing only in our swimwear. "One, two, three and go" he says, and we take of running. I win, but he went easy on me. I smile and go for my victory lap.

When I get back he asks : "Well done Mandy, your wish is my command. The race worked up a sweat care to join me for a dip?" I push him in the water. Suddenly he trips because he was not expecting it. "Does that answer your question" I say laughing. "Oh, it's on now" he says jokingly while picking me up and dropping me again.

The rest of the afternoon we spend in the water and for the first time in forever I do not think of tomorrow.