The calm before the storm

A head pops into the door and my eyes deceives me because standing at the door is my brother's best friend James. James is two years older than me, but he and Jaydens is best friends since my we were ten and James was twelve. Some bullies a few years older was wanting to take James's lunch money and Jayden saw it and stepped in even when the bullies were bigger than a ten-year-old. They fought side by side that day and James was so impressed with Jayden he became his shadow. Where the one went the other one followed. When James's parents passed away in a car accident he had to move to another state to live with his aunt and uncle. Jayden still visited him sometimes and since I last heard he joined the army. He always sent me birthday and get-well cards, but this is the first time I see him since we were children.

My brother gives him a man hug and they start talking. It gives me a few seconds to truly look at James and wow he changed. The army really does him good and with his genes he looks like a mix between Chris Hemsworth and Henry Cavill. He suddenly stops talking and looks at me which makes me blush. " Sorry Mandy, did not recognized you for a second I was still waiting for the buck tooth kid with the braces to show up. You are all grown up" James says while quickly looking over my body and opening his arms for a hug. " I am not the pigtail girl with braces anymore" I say while go for the hug. He hugs me and spins me around. He smells like pine and ocean, my two favourite things I think. "It's good to see you Mandy" "You too James, but what are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be saving the world somewhere?" He chuckles and I see a dimple when he truly smiles. "I'm on leave so I thought I would come visit when Jayden called and said you were in the hospital. I was already on my way so I thought of meeting Jayden here then I could see him also before he leaves" James says. I look at the two sceptically. " You happen to be on your way when Jayden called?"

They both look like I just caught them out, but before I can question them further my mother walks in. She sees James first and is a bit shocked, but quickly recovers and gives him a hug. Then her eyes zoom on Jayden. "Why aren't you on a flight right now young man?" she says accusingly. "Mom, relax I'm going. I just wanted to make sure Amanda is okay. Luckily, James is here now, and I can go knowing you are safe" he replies. He gives her a quick hug and then turns to me and says, "Stay out of trouble sis, I forbid you from anywhere okay?" I nod while he gives me a hug and squeezes me tightly. We both shed a tear, but Jayden is to hot head to show it. When he releases me it feels like it was the last time I would hug him. "I'll walk with you Jayden. See you tomorrow Mandy sleep tight" James says. I give a small wave. My mothers see it and just shakes her head. "What?" I ask her. She smiles softly at me and says: " Just don't get any ideas" "It is just James" I say. "I should go and let you rest" she replies while kissing me on the forehead. "Goodnight mom" I say while she walks away.