Same old same old

I always wanted to be a bird when I was little. To be free, to go wherever they wanted, but when I was six I realized I could not magically turn into a bird. That did not stop me from using my only wish on my birthday every year to wish it.

"Amanda, are you listening?" my mother asked me to take me out of my dream world. "Yes, mom" nodding along without really listening. My mom's eyes on me not believing me for one second. " As I was saying before the tests results came back and mostly everything looks good except one test, so I would do just a few more scans just to make sure everything fine" says Dr Stevens while he pushes up his glasses. I force a smile. Same old story every year since I was six and I suddenly stopped breathing and my parents rushed me to the hospital. They found out I had Restrictive Cardiomyopathy which affects my heart. Since then, I was in and out of the hospital. They told my parents I would not make it to ten, because my heart would not take it. Then we met Dr Stevens with his white hair and round glasses. He was sixty then which makes him seventy-four now and was working on a new drug which kept me alive. We are sitting on lounge chairs and the room looks like the beach. Dr Stevens wants his patients to be relaxed. Probably because when he tells them sad news he wants you to be like "Oh, that's bad news but I am so relaxed it doesn't bother me.

Dr Stevens smiles at me, "Don't worry Amanda, I'm sure its nothing. But I think we should just keep an eye on you tonight" he says. I mentally groan. Of course he would say that. I already packed a bag knowing I would stay the night. " I assume you know where to go, you can go settle in while your mom and I have a chat." Dr Stevens says. Do not get me wrong I like him as one like doctors, he is like an uncle to me since my father was killed while serving in the military a few years back. I stand up and walk out the door closing the door behind me. I already knew where to go. Because of all the money I bring to the hospital I have my own room here. I think sarcastically. The only reason I have a room here is because the guy that owns the hospital was a good friend of my fathers and to thank him for his service I got a room as long as I live. They thought I would not last as long as I am.

I was busy unpacking when two strong arms picked me up from behind.