The Send Off

Steve and I stood in front of Bucky as he was getting ready to leave. All the troops boarded the ship after saying goodbye to their friends and family. Bucky made sure to pull Steve into a big brotherly hug. I furrowed my brows when Bucky glanced up at Steve and whispered something in his ear. 

Since I was a bit further away I didn't hear him say, "Make sure you hold the door open for her, please."

Steve nodded when they pulled away and came next to me. It was my turn to say something but I didn't even know what to say. I've heard things about Bucky from future Steve. And I'm not one to get emotional when someone leaves. But I did get him a going away present.

"Here," I said as I held the book out to him. "Gives you something to do in your free time."

"You got me a gift?" Bucky asked as he grabbed it.

"Don't read too much into it."

Bucky's mouth slowly dropped. "The Hobbit?"

"Isn't that the book you wanted to read?" Steve asked a bit shocked.

"Yeah," Bucky spoke softly. His eyes never left the front cover. "I didn't have enough time to look around." He looked at me and smiled. "This is great." I was startled when he surprised me with a hug. "Thank you." He kissed my cheek and it caught me off guard entirely. "I'll cherish it."

"You don't have to," I muttered as I gently pushed him back by his chest, ignoring the blush that rose on my cheeks. "It's just a book."

Bucky looked at Steve. "Take care of her for me and don't do anything stupid until I get back."

"How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you," Steve retorted with a sad grin.

Bucky smiled at us one last time before boarding. I let out a breath as we started walking away.

"You know what you did?" Steve began.

I rolled my eyes. "I didn't do anything. It's just a friendly gesture that you're both reading too much into it. If I gave you a book, you'd know it's between friends."

"Not to Bucky." He looked at me. "You gave him something he likes. Most of the girls we know aren't like that."

"Because most girls he tries to set you up with are dames?" I guessed with a brow raised.

"Sorta." We looked around to see a few guys looking at me. A few were licking their lips and checking me out, but stopped when I glared at them. One guy clicked his tongue and whistled at me as if I were some dog. "Hey, you owe her an apology!"

"She knows what she's doing wearing that in public," the guy said.

My eyes glowed white as I levitated the man. His eyes popped out as he tried a way to get down. A few people thought it was just some magic act and laughed at him. When my eyes glowed brighter, I threw the man toward the garbage bins.

"I don't think I would ever get used to that," Steve commented.

"People thinking I'm a dame or me using my powers?" I questioned.

"Both." We started walking again. "So, where are you from again?"

"That depends, do you want the truth or the answer I give everyone?"

"I prefer the truth."

"Of course, you do."

》》》》

Steve and I arrived back at his apartment. He held the door open for me and allowed me to go first. I did give him tiny details about my past. Mostly, about my home in Azarath. His eyes nearly popped out learning that I was from another planet.

Epiphany 》Avengersजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें