chapter one

chapter one
spectrogram

chapter onespectrogram

Y/N POV

              I poke a pin into the photo of the huge crypto corporation on Hands Street, it stuck on to the bulletin board in front of me. I still had no idea what was going on with this corporation, but Alex and I both agree it's dangerous. I look down at the other photo in my hand. It was a photo of the crypto boss. He had a big smile and his arms were formally crossed over his chest as he stood tall in front of his business. His eyes were alright.

The door to the evidence room swings open. "Y/N--!" Alex exclaims. I scream and crumple the photo in my hand. "Uhh, are you good?" He asks, closing the door behind him and walking over to me.

"Yeah, you just scared me," I confess. I buried the photo in my jacket pocket, I'll deal with it later.

"What are you doing in the evidence room? Aren't we told to like.. not go in here?" He looks around the room before staring back at me. The evidence room was the room that held all the items police officers find at the scene of the crime, some of the items are later used in court. And yes, officers weren't supposed to be hiding out in here, but no one needs to know.

I sigh and ignore his question. "What do you want, Alex?" I ask him as I grab the bulletin board off the hook it hung on. I walk to the door and Alex follows behind me.

"Okay, so. You know how those two guys got away right?" He reminds me. He steps in front of me and opens the door, I exit the room and he slips out as he closes the door.

"Oh, no I totally don't remember that" I roll my eyes. He looks at me, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Sarcasm" I tell him. He nods and continues.

"Anyways, the guy (you failed to catch) dropped a USB before getting away. And y'know, I was curious so I plugged it into my laptop" He explained to me. Let me guess, he got a virus-- "And it gave me this weird virus thing!" He shouts, a few other officers glance at us.

"Show me your laptop. I'm sure you don't have a virus" I assure him. He leads me over to his desk. I rest the board against the short cubicle wall (that separated his desk from his neighbors) and then look at his laptop. "It looks fine.." I mumble to myself. I notice a notification in the bottom right corner. "Audio file downloaded?" I read out. Alex gasps and grabs both my shoulders as he peaks around my head and stares at the screen.

"Woah! Listen to it! Click on it!" He lightly shakes me. I elbow him and immediately clutches his stomach instead of grabbing me. I click on the file and make sure the volume is up before playing it. The audio was either distorted or it was meant to be a random fuzzy noise. "Why would anyone carry this around?" Alex questions, leaning his head over my shoulder yet still being mindful of my personal space.

"There's a hidden message" I explain to him. "We need to put it in a spectrogram" I add so he can understand better. He loudly hums and nods but the look on his face told me he had no idea what I was saying. I looked up 'spectrogram' in the Google search and then hit enter. I scroll and look for the best one, once I find one that can import audio, I click it.