TWO

Aegon had prepared for the arrival of Daenerys for this evening in his chambers

Aegon had prepared for the arrival of Daenerys for this evening in his chambers. In truth, he had never invited anyone to his royal apartments, much less a woman.

He valued his privacy, and therefore, no one ventured around these halls save for his kingsguard and occasionally, his family.

He was not used to having guests in his chambers, but he would certainly be willing to break such a routine for her—a rare guest, and a welcome one, at that.

At his command, the servant's had come in to liven up the common space, as best they could. The drapes, the furniture, the carpets...everything was black in his rooms. Just like the clothing he wore every day. The place was certainly sullen-looking, and as bubbly and sweet as Daenerys was, he didn't want to intimidate her.

He had gotten his room cleaned, the chamberlings having put fresh florals here or there to fill the air with the sweet scent of flowers, as well as ensuring that the windows were open, letting in fresh air. He had arranged for the fireplace to be lit, and a small table was set for two, with a dinner of some sorts—chicken in a pastry, a bowl of assorted olives, bread, and glasses of Arbor Gold wine.

Aegon had even dressed himself in his finer clothes—his midnight doublet was not too grandstanding, but it was embroidered with golden detail and clasps in the shapes of dragon-heads.

Perhaps she was a bastard girl, but she deserved to be treated like a lady.

Aegon had lit several candles around the quarters, and he sat in a chair in front of the fireplace, a book resting in his hand. It was the book that he had promised to lend her...

The knock came at the door, and he called the kingsguard to come in, standing to his feet.

Aegon took a deep breath and fixed the cuffs of his wrists briefly as he lifted his chin in anticipation of seeing her, when the knight walked in.

"Your Grace," the knight said with a grim look. "I've news from the DragonPit. A dragon-keeper rode down asking for you....It is Stormcloud, again."

Stormcloud — his dragon.

The knight's hesitance to mention the dragon's name to him was warranted.

Aegon's expression darkened, and he frowned deeply. His grip tightened on the book as he spoke in a low voice. "I commanded that the dragon-keepers care for Stormcloud without my oversight," he reminded.

"Yes, your Grace..." The Knight swallowed thickly. "...I'm afraid the dragon-keeper is quite insistent. He will not leave the courtyard."