Chapter 28: A Time For Us

"Now arriving at Waterloo station! Please mind the doors until the train has come to a complete stop." The conductor's voice rang out to be heard above the train's shrill whistle as the wheels beneath the locomotive started to screech to a stop against the track rails.

Amelia and William stood in one of the exiting compartments on the train, their luggage in hand as they awaited the train to come to a stop. Amelia couldn't help but look in wonder out the train window at the approaching station where their trip was to come to a short halt. As the train slowed, she witnessed numerous people walking along the station platform, mostly women, children, and other soldiers waiting to board the train themselves on their way to the front.

Her heart felt a lurch of pain at the sight of the many women embracing their male relatives, their brothers, cousins, lovers, or husbands before being separated from them for weeks or months at a time. She unconsciously reached out for Will's hand to remind herself that he was here with her and they were both going to a safe location.

Will turned to look at her as she continued looking out the window, her eyes focused on the people outside. Her other hand that wasn't holding his reached up to fix her hair that remained down with some of her glorious blonde strands tied into a bun at the back of her head, giving him the impression of a lovely heroine come to life from a Jane Austen novel.

Alas, Elizabeth Bennett was merely words on a page as for Amelia Hunterson who was the real deal. Amelia was intelligent in beauty's mask, fire and kindness in a flesh and blood five-foot-one woman, ever perfect in her uncertainty and pensive attitude. He could sense Amelia's insecurity, and he could almost hear the words within her mind as she argued with herself about her appearance how she would look beside him as a Corporal's lady, and how she wanted to look like she belonged at his side.

It both fascinated and irked him about how oblivious and in denial Amelia was of her radiance.

She had set her suitcase down on the floor by her feet as she looked at her reflection in the window and ran her fingers through her blonde hair, trying to make sure no random strands were sticking out. Amelia sighed to herself as she pushed her voluminous hair completely behind her shoulders, allowing the golden blonde tresses to flow down her back.

"it's Hopeless." She muttered in annoyance as she gave up styling her hair and picked up her suitcase, holding herself steady as the train came to a total stop. The flustered American woman looked up at her soldier, handsome as ever in his crisp brown uniform and parade cap, like a poster boy for British war propaganda, his blue eyes locked on her with concern.

"Amelia, my darling." His scarred hand took ahold of hers and he brought it to his lips, allowing him to kiss her knuckles and fingertips with such reverence, he might as well have been presenting such a gesture to the Queen Mary. "Don't fret so much about it. You look so beautiful no matter what you do; the women outside do not compare to you, I guarantee it. My heart beats with passion for only you, my angel."

William released her hand and allowed for both of his own hands to cup her face, his thumbs caressing her blossom pink cheeks as unshed tears watered her green eyes and she rapidly blinked them away. She sniffled as she looked up at her sky blue-eyed hero and she resigned herself to his words of genuine comfort. She choked out a whisper. "Thank you, Will."

He leaned down and placed a most gentle kiss on her soft rosebud lips, displaying such love for her in a second-long display of chaste affection, his thumb tracing the outline of her sweet mouth. However brief their kiss was, Amelia found herself wanting more from him as he pulled away and the train came to a complete stop, the conductor walking past them to stand by the door and wait to allow the passengers to step outside.