Chapter 6: Between Two Worlds

Comenzar desde el principio

It couldn't have been her, could it?

An ancestor nobody had told her about?

A doppelganger...?

What was her name?

Amelia's breath hitched in her throat, her hands clutching onto the edge of the counter.

"Are you alright, miss?" Lauri asked her with concern as Amelia wiped away some sweat from her brow. "Do you need help?"

"No, I...I'm fine." The American girl held her chin up, reassuring Lauri that nothing was wrong. "Um...that woman in the picture, the bride. Does she have a name?" She pointed to the framed photo, her fingertip smudging the glass slightly.

"No, I don't believe so." Lauri went around to join Amelia on the other side of the counter. "But, lots of women have tried on that ring of hers." Beside the picture sat the bejeweled trinket inside a velvet felt holder, like the one found in a jewelry store.

"Has the ring fit anyone?" Amelia asked, her curiosity getting the better of her.

"No, it's too small for any woman who's tried it on. That's why it's still in this case." Lauri went back around to her side of the counter and opened up the case to pull out the piece of coveted jewelry for an improved visual.

The ring itself was a small round band of smooth gold with a crystal sparkle of round diamond in the center. Simple, but elegant, perhaps something to Amelia's taste should she ever wear such a ring upon her finger.

"Could...could I try it on? If it fits, I'll take it off your hands." Amelia asked despite the logical part of her conscience telling her to just buy the history book and walk away without the ring.

But, she couldn't leave without knowing for certain.

Why did that woman, the anonymous twentieth-century bride, resemble her so much?

Or why did Amelia look like her, and who was the man to meet her at the altar?

As though she were in a trance, Amelia removed the trinket from its satin case, taking a breath to calm down.

A peal of thunder rumbled outside, causing her hands to shake as she slipped the ring upon the appropriate finger on her hand.

It was a perfect fit, like Cinderella and the glass slipper...

Amelia felt Lauri's silent stare on her the entire duration of the payment and transaction of the ring and history book. She didn't even pay attention to the cost of the ring with the remaining amount of pounds she had.

At least it was her final night in London before she was to head back home to her humdrum American life. However monotonous it was, she felt the homesickness creep inside her thinking of her loved ones, even though her family was somewhat distant with their own lives.

She had to remind her mother numerous times that she wouldn't even be in the country for a month; she wanted to see the world while she was still able to...

The gift bag, along with her purse, felt as heavy as a bag of rocks in her hands as she hailed a cab. Water sprinkled on the top of her head, the black London cab providing her shelter from the oncoming storm, taking her back to the final night in her hotel.

The ring still clung to her finger, mocking her with its regal Edwardian splendor. It was a gorgeous token of marital intention, and she had no idea as to why she had spent the last of her English currency on such a prize.

The ride back to her hotel was a silent blur, the rain pattering on the cab and the vehicle's engine the only accompanying sounds.

At last, she was back in her room, stripping off her clothes and changing down into her favorite hot-pink nightgown. The air around her felt sweltering, and she had trouble breathing.