Family Sticks Together

Start from the beginning

"He's got me, I'll take care of him. Can you sign him out for me? Make it look like one of our parents did it." I replied, sighing in relief when she nodded.

What I was doing wasn't technically legal, but I didn't have much of a care right now. I met Chris by the door and took his bag from him, throwing it on to my shoulder before I picked him up.

"Sorry Chris, we're in a bit of a rush." I apologised when he complained at the abrupt action.

I jogged out of the school, helping Chris into the car before I hopped into the driver's seat. "Coop, what's going on?" He questioned.

My chest ached at the heavy breath I let out, knowing I had to be calm for Chris' sake. I reached over and gently held on to his arms, which he reciprocated by holding my arms.

"There was an... incident on one of the calls. Dad and Papa are in the hospital. But they're going to be okay." I didn't know if the last part was true, but I had to give us some hope.

Chris frowned and the tears in his eyes quickly mirrored my own. I wiped both of our eyes and started up the engine.

"It's going to be okay, you hear me? I'm not leaving your side and we're going to get through this. You and me, Chris." I promised, diverting my attention to the road as I began driving.

As much as I wanted to sit here and comfort Chris, I know we both desperately wanted to get to the hospital. If we had more time, I'd certainly be a better brother in the situation.

"Dad and Papa are okay. They always survive these things." Chris assured. I wasn't sure if he was comforting me or himself.

The words hurt either way.

What if they weren't okay? What if this was the one time they couldn't make it through? They promised me they'd never leave me- they made that promise when they adopted me. Buck and Eddie weren't allowed to break that promise.

My phone began buzzing from my pocket and I shuffled to pull it out, seeing Bobby's name flash across the screen. I threw the device into the cup holder, knowing that I couldn't deal with hearing anything right now.

The hospital car park was busy and I cursed when there was no spaces to park in. Instead of waiting, I pulled on to the curb by the entrance of the hospital and proceeded to help Chris out of the car.

I'd pay the ticket later.

Chris climbed on to my back as I jogged into the hospital, immediately rushing to the reception desk.

"We need the rooms of Eddie Diaz and Evan Buckley." I ordered, completely cutting off the conversation of the receptionist and a patient.

They looked at me with annoyed glares, "Children aren't allowed to be unattended-"

"They're firefighters and our parents. We want to see them." I cut her off, which only resulted in her scoffing angrily.

She began lecturing me on etiquette in a hospital and how children weren't allowed to demand things of adults. I was about to completely blow up at here when I heard my name being called.

My head snapped to the side, spotting Bobby stood by the elevators. The receptionist objected angrily when I ran off, almost crashing into Bobby from how quickly I had taken off.

"Cooper, you need to calm down. You're too worked up." Bobby softly scolded, resting a hand on my chest as it heaved from both the running and my anxiety.

"Please Bobby. We need to see them." I begged, blinking the moisture from my eyes.

The captain glanced to Chris on my shoulder, whose tear drops I could feel dampening the collar of my t-shirt. He sighed, obviously realising he was delaying the inevitable, and guided us down the hall.

Thankfully, they were both placed in a room together so I didn't have to even think about who'd I'd have to sit with.

They were lying on their beds when we arrived with their eyes closed and completely unaware of anything around them. The only indication that they were alive was the rise and fall of their chests and the heart monitors connected to them.

I gently lowered Chris on to the end of Eddie's bed, being mindful not to jostle him. "They're going to be okay. The doctors just said they're sleeping it off for now. Most of it is bruising and a couple broken bones, but they'll heal." Bobby explained and I sagged forward in relief.

Chris curled his hands around Eddie's leg and I moved over to Buck, resting my head at his side and feeling a strong sense of relief. My eyes drifted shut as I finally understood that they really were going to be fine.

It didn't stop my hand from reaching to Buck's wrist, feeling it gently move under my finger tips.

"Everyone's waiting in the lobby, so I'll let them know everything's okay. Do you guys need anything?" Bobby asked gently, asking me more than Chris.

"I-I picked Chris up before they had lunch. He needs to eat." I stated, knowing I had to make sure my brother was okay whilst our parents were recovering.

Soon enough, Chris and I were left in the room alone and I stood up to look around.

"I told you they'd be okay." Chris smiled and I choked out a laugh, walking over to him.

He reached up as I pulled him into a hug, swiping my hand through his hair like Eddie always does. We migrated over to the chairs in the room and I kept an arm around Chris as he tiredly leaned into my side.

A nurse brought in some food, which I guess Bobby had asked for, and I thanked her before she left. I made sure Chris ate, even taking a few bites when he insisted on it.

Then we just sat there.

Sometimes we spoke, other times we stayed there in silence and simply enjoyed sitting together. The team were in and out of the room, checking up on us and wanting to watch over Buck and Eddie too.

In fact, we were all in the room when they had started waking up. I almost laughed at the fact they both woke up within ten seconds of each other, since they always had to be together.

The team called a couple nurses in to check them over as I, somehow, waited patiently for them to look over at us.

"Boys." Eddie whispered, staring over at us with relief.

Buck turned his head too, smiling when he saw us. We made our way over and, upon realising we didn't know who to go to first, Buck climbed out of bed.

"Buck!"

"Dad no-"

He gently hushed us all, climbing into bed beside Eddie instead. Of course, Eddie was more than happy to have his boyfriend curled up beside him. Good thing Buck's heart rate monitor moved along with him.

I lifted Chris on to the bed, trying to be careful but giving up when Buck just pulled him on top. It was if they forgot they'd been crushed by a building.

Eddie pulled me closer and I stayed standing, but I laid my head on his chest and relaxed into the hug.

"Is it wrong for me take a photo of this?" Hen asked, causing us all to laugh.

We stayed like that for a while as Buck and Eddie chatted to the others, not letting Chris or myself move far enough away that they couldn't touch us. I didn't care, especially not as my head rested against Eddie's heartbeat and my hand was against Buck's pulse point on his wrist.

Our family was going to be perfectly fine.

—————————————————————————

Not sure if this one is a bit too rushed? Let me know your thoughts!

Hope you enjoyed :)