t h i r t y t w o. vowed to hate

Start from the beginning

"Jugnu?"

"She is playing with Rey in the game room."

"And your health?"

"I feel fine!"

Anisha chuckled, she loved how Pranati wasn't the closed off girl she was when they first met. Instead, Pranati was being more of herself than she realised.

"Alright, but if Reyansh comes in and screams at me..."

"I'll handle him, I swear."

That was settled when Pranati decided to cook dinner for the remainder of the Khuranas'. She had been resting the entire day and that was the longest amount of time she had taken a break. Back in Mussoorie, she could not have even a second to herself, being busy with a kid and two jobs and helping out in the house, she was not used to resting.

Also, the Khuranas' had been way too kind to her and her daughter. A little gratitude goes a long way, and if not by money, Pranati could at least treat them with something to eat. She asked the staff to guide her to where the ingredients were and once they did, she asked them to leave. It was too overwhelming to cook when there were people gawking at you.

"Alright, we have everything here."

"What are you doing out of your bed?"

Pranati was chopping vegetables when Reyansh barged in the kitchen, not amused by the scenario. He leaned against the refrigerator, a grim expression on his face.

"You need to rest."

Pranati ignored him and continued dicing the onions in a swift motion. She cut them so fast that Reyansh was surprised at the girl who could not even boil water. The last time she cooked for him, he had to eat very salty and burnt noodles and pretend it was good.

"Are you ignoring me?" Reyansh walked over to the counter and watched Pranati finish chopping the vegetables without wasting any breath over him. "Pranati..."

"Reyansh," Pranati turned to face him, the knife pointed at him and he stepped back. "Don't piss me, my tolerance level is way too low today. Back off." She pushed the knife at him and he raised his arms, in surrender.

"What are you making?"

"Paneer Tikka Masala and kulche..." She readied the ingredients, marinating the paneer while Reyansh watched her by standing besides her. "If you are not here to help, you should leave."

"I'll help."

Pranati did not expect him to actually help her, given how much Reyansh would rather spend his time playing video games. She was stunned for a second, observing the man closely and was brought out of her trance when Reyansh snapped at her.

She made him fry the paneer over the pan, while she continued cutting the rest of the vegetables. It was comical to see him throw the paneer cubes in the pan because of the oil that splattered and how he used a lid to cover his face.

"Are you helping, or do you need help?" Pranati scoffed, taking the spatula from his hands and flipped the paneer, not minding the sizzling of oil.

"How are you so efficient?" Reyansh asked, still holding the lid over his face. "Where is the girl who couldn't cook to save herself? The one who cried once because the steam from the kitchen ruined her eyes..."

Pranati sighed, "that girl grew up."

The undertone of sadness in that phrase made Reyansh uncomfortable, so he took back the spatula and kept the lid down. He had almost flipped the paneer perfectly when Pranati hissed at the cut on her finger. She was lost in her thoughts and accidentally cut her finger, holding it away from the counter so the blood would not ruin the rest of the food.