10. OBSTACLE COURSE

JULY 12TH, 1978

ACT ONE

I LIMP TOWARDS the field slowly following behind Tommy, Cindy, and Ziggy. I knew that I'd already pushed my ankle to my pain thresholds limits today.

The obstacle course was set up in the field across from Camp Nightwing, where Sarah Fier's hanging tree was, and where I'd taken my fall two days ago. I examine the first day of camp activity with a horrified expression.

"Who the fuck came up with this idea anyway?" I inquire, mostly rhetorically, while I stop dead in my tracks. Dread filled up inside me as I noticed each addition.

It was classic: hula-hoops, a crawl under, a tire run, a balancing beam, under-over hurdles, and a jump-over section. The field was decorated with small sport cones and colorful flags. The course was large enough for four campers to go through at a time. At the end of the obstacle course, cups of water and large watermelon slices for each camper were on display.

All the other campers were gathered into groups, excitedly chattering over it, but my brown eyes were bulged as my lips parted open with shock.
There was no way I could get through this.

"Language!" Cindy reprimanded casually - she still tried despite being well-acclimated to mine and her sister's love for cursing. Her, Tommy, and Ziggy turned around to notice my reaction. "Also, it was Tommy's idea, so be nice."

My bewildered stare turned to Tommy as I demanded dramatically, "Do you hate me?"

Tommy's smile is both amused and sympathetic at the same time. "Sorry, Lorra. How was I supposed to know you were going to fall out of a tree?"

"You can always sit this out if you need to, Lorra," Cindy reminds me with an empathetic grin of her own.

Ziggy nods, agreeing with her sister, which was a rare occurrence,"Cindy's right. You don't have to do it."

"Gee!" Tommy jokingly points out in surprise. "Both Berman sisters agreeing for once!"

"I know. It's almost enough to make me listen," I reply and exchange a laugh with Tommy while the two sisters rolled their eyes at our antics. Becoming more serious after I caught a glimpse of Nick watching me from far across the field. Remembering him tell me to "take it easy" made it feel like even more of a challenge. I know he'd meant to be sweet, but he just made this feel like even more of a challenge... "Almost, but I'm not a wimp."

"Believe it or not, the obstacle course is a good way for the kids to let out their first day jitters. Being away from home can be hard for some kids," Tommy elaborates on his idea for the obstacle course to us with an enthusiastic tone.