1. ROLLER RINK

JULY 8TH, 1978

ACT ONE

I STOOD in front of the oval mirror. My mouth was goofily stretched open wide while I carefully applied mascara onto my eyelashes so I could be finished getting ready for the roller rink.

I stopped and blinked rapidly to adjust my eyes before examining my blue eyelids and now lifted, black eyelashes.

Then I caught a glance at my best friend stifling her laughter with her hand over her mouth as she looked up at my technique through the mirror from her spot on the floor. She was leaned against the foot of her bed. "Remind me again why you like to torture yourself?" Ziggy asks, casually returning her gaze down into her book, flipping to her next page with ease. She was reading Carrie again - her favorite.

I roll my eyes in response. I knew she hated makeup, and although I wasn't the biggest fan, I enjoyed the creativity every now and then.

"Oh, Ziggy. Beauty is pain." I whip around to face her with a wide grin, "That's why you're the biggest pain in my ass." Ziggy's eyes playfully glared at me as I watched her eyebrow lift in question.

She cocked her head to the side, nodding in agreement. She resumed her attention to her book, "You're the best at compliments as always, Lor."

I do a sarcastic bow that Ziggy doesn't entertain and then throw myself onto the bed behind her. It creaks as I land, and I sprawl out with my feet towards the headboard and my head resting next to Ziggy's at the end. "So, have you come up with a plan yet?" I inquire with hope brimming my brown eyes.

Ziggy sighs heavily, immediately knowing what I'm wondering about. We had been talking about it since school let out for the year. My shoulders naturally slump in disappointment. I knew what that sigh meant. She met my eyes once again with a look of sadness, "I've tried. There's no plan my mom or sister will agree to that doesn't include shipping me off to shitty Camp Nightwing."

Camp Nightwing: a co-ed summer camp in the middle of the nowhere woods for parents to dump their children at for the summer. I grimace at the name. It was never much fun for the average Shadysider.

We're all cursed by the witch, after all, supposedly.

But yay, go, team, I guess!

I had never attended, and I didn't plan to. My mom would never give me the money even if she could afford it. Cindy was a counselor this year, which meant Ziggy got in for free. There were programs for us underprivileged Shadysiders, mostly sponsored by the Goodes, so they can show everyone just how good they were, but I was definitely over the age limit.