7. NURSE LANE

JULY 10TH, 1978

JULY 10TH, 1978

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

ACT ONE

"I CAN'T BELIEVE how long it took Kurt to stop screaming at us last night," I recall to Ziggy over the scene I'd walked into in our cabin last night. Kurt eventually found his clothes and the camp flag...

He was less than happy.

"Or your sister for that matter," I add after a pause through gritted teeth when I remember her outbursts as well.

Ziggy blows a strand of her ginger hair from her eyesight as she glances up at me from across the room, haulting her scrubbing of the dirty cabin floor we were on our knees to clean,"Well, my mom always says to accomplish our goals and I don't know about you, but I felt pretty accomplished." Ziggy's mouth etches into a vindicated grin. She shoots me a wink. I snort at her dismissal of our lectures.

"I did!" I then sigh, looking back down while I rake the sponge against the dirty wooden floors harshly, using both hands. "You shouldn't have taken all the blame, though. Kurt gave you two points, Z!" I exclaim pointedly. I was still in disapproval of the call she'd made last night before I had a chance to explain to Kurt, Cindy, and Tommy my part in the prank.

Ziggy had taken the fall instead. She chose to ignore the subject the same as last night.

"He would've sent us packing first thing last night if it wasn't for Cindy being such a nerd about the rule book saying he can't until we get to five," Ziggy's amusement faded and she appeared only disappointed that we were still on schedule to be Camp Nightwing campers in two days. "She always ruins everything!"

"Z, I'm serious. I should be in just as much trouble as you." I bit my lip, and my gaze turned remorseful. I felt guilty that Ziggy had taken the brunt of the blame.

Her face is genuinely understanding as I peek up at it again. "Yeah, but you had already got caught coming back from the party. That was one point for you. If I hadn't said it was only me, you'd already be ahead of me at three points and there's no way in hell I'm staying here without you," Ziggy explains with a sobering expression. She's giving a soft smile that I return.

"Don't worry. I'm sure I'll catch up in time for us to hit five together," I remark with a gentle laugh. Then, I focus my attention back onto the floor. I'm scrubbing as both the "help" Cindy promised from us yesterday and as punishment for our points we received.

Ziggy and I got assigned to clean up some of the cabins in preparation for campers, and we had been at it all morning.

Ziggy's lack of scrubbing and the fact that she tosses her sponge aside loudly causes me to regain my eyes on her. She is smiling wide and giving me a knowing look as she yells out in excitement,"That's a great idea!"