12. the wedding

✧

.*

For the first time since Freya had visited Castle Leoch, she felt comfortable. The room she now had actually had a bed and privacy. It had little soaps to wash her hands with and a most lovely duvet to cuddle under. It was the small luxuries that made all the difference.

Today was different.  Today was the day that she was marrying a stranger, a stranger who she had to pretend to love.

She didn't love him, no. Freya loathed him. The sight of him, the smell of him— anything that had to do with him.

Mrs. Fitz smiled as she placed the last flower inside of Freya's braid.

Freya had taken an untraditional route to a wedding outfit. The dress itself was common, but half of her hair was braided with flowers while the rest of it was left down in its usual curls. Mrs. Fitz begged her to let her put it up neatly, but that just wasn't Freya. If she had to marry someone she didn't want to, she would st least stick to her natural self.

Sheneice smiled as she stood behind her newfound best friend. "I think you look beautiful."

Freya turned with a smile, "Thank ye, Sheneice."

With a nod, Sheneice let a hand out to her to help her stand up, "We're running a tad late."

Nodding, Freya took a big breath before she followed Sheneice out. "I'm nervous. What was yer wedding day like?"

Sheneice looped her arm in Freya's with a smile, "Oh, it was wonderful." Happy memories started to flood back in, "Murtagh wore his most expensive kilt and had Mrs. Fitz gel his hair all back." A giggle escaped her lips as she remembered how he looked. "He was so nervous, the poor lad. Stuttering his way through the vows." Freya chuckled, her grip on Sheneice tensing with every passing step.