o5. the dinner, part one

✧

.*

After Jamie dismissed himself from his godmother and the MacLeod lass, he immediately headed straight for the Laird's private quarters. Upon arrival at Colum's door, he heard the faint whisperings on the other side. With a furrowed brow, he checked his surroundings to make sure he was alone before he began to eavesdrop.

"What would you have me do?!" The man spat. It was a mere whisper, but Jamie could recognize the boastful voice of Dougal MacKenzie anywhere.

"Make them like ye— which, brother, i know is a hard task to ask. Just do it!" Colum hissed.

Jamie tried to break down this conversations meaning. He could only guess it was about the MacLeod's. For thirteen years their family name was uttered only behind closed doors. Once the tragic day passed all of those years ago, the blame was somehow pointed to the MacKenzie's. All clans stopped communicating with them as they believed they had led the wicked massacre. If it was them, Jamie had no knowledge of it. He would not take someone's mother from anyone— or slaughter a good percent of a village with no reason. Colum and Dougal always denied it, so of course they couldn't have done it. They wouldn't lie to him about that.

Before the conversation could further, Jamie gave a single knock at the door before entering. Bowing slightly towards Colum, his eyes shifted to an annoyed Dougal. "Sorry to interrupt, but the MacLeod lass is here."

Colum nearly got whiplash for whipping his head around to look at Jamie, "A lass?!"

"Aye," Jamie started, unsure of whether to mention how exactly he came to know she was here. "Redheaded— like me. She was alone with not but a cat. Sheneice saw her to her room."

Dougal let out a sinister chuckle, "They sent a lass?! Alone?"

Colum shook his head, beginning to seethe with anger, "Ewan couldn't face me himself?" His tongue clicked at the roof of his mouth, "Coward."