A mix of emotions flooded her as she observed the two

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

A mix of emotions flooded her as she observed the two. Even though years had passed, she couldn't forget the faces of her childhood friends, the close companions who often visited her. 

She had thought they were dead due to the Markeus family's control in the palace, especially for nobles opposed to Markeus's rule.

She was glad they were still alive, but what she couldn't understand was why they were following the orders of the king she despised.

"Are you both messing with me?" she retorted, irritation evident in her voice. "I have no time for the two of you, and you're not my concern."

"But you're our concern," their tone shifted to seriousness. "We're sure to face dire consequences if we return to the palace empty-handed."

A barrage of curses filled her mind. She didn't want to harm them. But she also couldn't afford to be endangered because of them. She hadn't prepared for this situation. It wasn't part of her plan, and only Xavier was on her mind.

"Why didn't he tell me about this kind of situation?"

She needed to go no matter what. Memories rushed through her mind like rushing water—fast, abundant, and consecutive. Memories she had almost forgotten over time. Memories she had been trying to erase from her mind because they reminded her of all the painful and sad things that had happened to her.

"Are you betraying me, Xavier?" she angrily muttered to herself. "Is this a fucking trap to catch me?"

She almost blinked when she saw droplets of water floating around her. She tightened her grip on her weapon when she saw them. She took a deep breath as she saw Julio's hand pointed towards her.

Shapes formed from the droplets, extending and sharpening gradually from circles. As Katrina opened her palm, the droplets around her began to freeze and quickly headed toward her.

She stepped back, her sword deflecting the ice that came at her with every move she made. The fire crawled back onto her sword, diminishing the ice's strength and starting to melt it before it could reach her.

She created a large fire and quickly threw it towards where the two were standing. It spread and blocked their path. She noticed the two also retreated from where they stood. Without hesitation, she ran away towards the dark forest.

"What a freaking night. Why do they suddenly appear out of nowhere!" she cursed as she held onto the cloak covering her face, which almost slipped off.

She heard the two chasing after her. She glimpsed their figures and caught a glimpse of the smoke behind her. Her fire disappeared quickly due to Julio's magical water.

She paused when she saw the high part of the cliff. Her jaw tightened, and she needed to make a quick decision. She glanced back again and saw the two figures approaching.