The Second Day

It was a nice summer day, but unfortunately, Kel, a high school freshman, had to spend it in summer school along with a few classmates: Opel, Lin, and a few others who hadn't received passing grades.

Opel was an outgoing, easy-spoken kid who loved clubs and all sorts of activities, mainly due to the chance to make new friends.

Kel couldn't comprehend Opel's desire to befriend every single person he encountered.

Unlike Opel, Kel held certain standards, even though they might not have been the highest.

It wasn't the best of standards, but it was something.

Lin, on the other hand, was more of a people pleaser, though he tended to keep to himself most of the time.
Kel was fairly average - average grades except for math, average height, and average looks (Kel's reflection appeared on the teacher's whiteboard).

"Get off your phone, Mr. Clark," the teacher's voice startled Kel.
With a quick movement, Kel stashed his phone in the cubbyhole of his desk and cleared his throat.

"If I catch you using your phone again, I might just have to photograph the lessons.

Maybe then you'll take an interest," the teacher warned, turning around to face Kel. Kel glared, then looked away and muttered to himself.

"Perhaps you need to retake English, Mr. Clark. I didn't quite catch that," the teacher said, causing the class to gasp and murmur.

Kel, now embarrassed, chose to focus on the lesson in front of him.

At the back of the class, Lin shook his head at the situation, suppressing his laughter to spare his friend from further embarrassment.

"We'll be having a test today, exercising our brains!" the teacher announced, moving on to the next lesson and preparing the students for the test.

Some students groaned while others seemed content. The trio of friends - Kel, Opel, and Lin - were among those who dreaded tests and preferred to avoid them whenever possible.

The teacher began by distributing the test papers, briefly going over the first three questions before allowing the students to complete the rest on their own.

The test consisted of 24 questions, ranging from basic math to challenging ones meant to deter the students.

The teacher aimed to strike a balance between difficulty levels, hoping the students would tackle the trickier questions.

Guiding the students through the first three questions, the teacher covered an easy question, followed by a challenging one, and then a medium-difficulty question.

Students handled the first question smoothly and efficiently, all following along.

The second question took more time, with some students understanding it while others struggled, but eventually, they all managed to tackle the first three questions well.

After assisting with the initial questions, the teacher took a break at her desk to attend to paperwork, possibly socialize, and prepare for future lessons.

Mrs. Koi, as flexible and understanding as she could, is known for being a supportive "friend" to her students in times of family or personal turmoil.

As the students focused on their tests, Mrs. Koi reached into her desk drawer, offering gum and stress relief gadgets to help the students concentrate.
The students smiled, some even wanted to fist-bump the teacher, and a newfound respect seemed to develop among them.

"We'll take a break outside after this test. You're all doing splendidly. Those who finish can head to break early. The cafeteria has snacks and cold drinks for you. It's summer, after all," Mrs. Koi announced, inspiring the students to work diligently on the test or simply finish it quickly.