owl post

YEAR ONE 

November 13th, 1903

My dear Keeper,

I hope you will forgive an old school friend for waiting so long to reach out to you. I could lie and say that curse-breaking whisks you away without access to pen and parchment, though I suppose you know better by now.

If it weren't for you, Sharp, Ominis, and Rakepick discussing the cursed relic at my trial, I would be rotting in Azkaban. Of course, I'm sure Professor Black's deep pockets also had something to do with it as well. Yet thoughts of you, Ominis, and Anne creep into my days regularly. I've found that our time together is intertwined so deeply within my memories that I cannot help but wonder how you are.

I hope you will forgive my silence. I heard from a British chap that joined our camp that you live close to Hogwarts now.

Yours,
Sebastian.

~~~

December 8th, 1903

Sebastian,

Is it perhaps the marriage announcement of Ominis and Anne that caused you to seek me out? This marriage was a long time coming. Shortly after we graduated, Anne returned from staying with a squib relative you apparently have on your father's side. The ghosts of Feldcroft became too much for her so she began to seek another place to live. Ominis opened his home to her, and his family had a fit. It was years before they realized they could tie up his inheritance in a marriage to a pureblood. Ominis, clever as ever, worked hard for a promotion so he could cut the final few ties he had with his family. However, he had made a promise to marry a pureblood as a condition for his family's help in your trial. He adhered to their terms...and married Anne. Finally.

I see Rakepick occasionally when our visits to the Ministry coincide. He tells me that you are the best cursebreaker he has ever known.

Yes, I reside nearby in Feldcroft. I host a handful of vivariums in the upper levels of my home (Ministry approved, which took ages), where I rehabilitate beasts. Hogwarts alerts troubled youths and their families to a program I created, and I teach them beast care during detention. It helps them feel less powerless and, we find, less likely to cause trouble because of a new sense of purpose. I also allow young witches and wizards who show a natural talent at beast care to join.

Funny, all that fuss I kicked up at school and now everyone is out saving the world while I stay at home and respond to letters from assholes who stop talking to you out of nowhere after you "saved their life".

"Keeper"

~~~~

January 15th, 1904

We receive news months after it is printed- often when journeymen come and join our camps they bring Daily Prophet's. It is why your letters never arrive by owl, and a return envelope is supplied. Too dangerous to have owls flying in and out of camp. All this to say: yes, I saw the announcement of Ominis and Anne. She looked radiant. Just like our mother. Please pass on my congratulations, should they wish to hear anything from me. Forgive me for not being forward in my reason for reaching out.

I suppose seeing their photo made me homesick. There's so much I appeared to have missed. Especially your rehabilitation program. I suppose a roguish Slytherin (or, as you like to call it, "an asshole") with a dastardly smile and freckles was the inspiration for this program?

It sounds like you are saving the world from dangerous young witches and wizards with no adults to turn to. As we both know, that can be quite dangerous. Wonder how my life would have been changed, had I set a splint on a few Mooncalves and brushed a Puffskein or two in detention.