Chapter 20

Y/n found a peaceful spot to rest, settling onto the soft grass with a contented sigh. As a wolf with newly acquired wings, she was still adjusting to her new form. Despite scanning the area for potential prey, she couldn't shake the emptiness she felt inside. Wolves were social creatures, meant to thrive in the company of their packmates. Y/n struggled with the contradiction of her solitary existence.

As she wandered, she came across a babbling brook, and paused to drink from its refreshing waters. Suddenly, a loud CRACK! shattered the calm. Y/n raised her head, her ears pricked for danger. She sensed the presence of another wolf pack nearby, and called out to them.

"Hongjoong, reveal yourself. I know you're here," she hissed, flexing her claws in anticipation.

A few reeds rustled, and soon Hongjoong emerged from the shadows. Y/n was surprised to see him so subdued. Something had changed since their last meeting.

"What's happened to you, Joone?" she asked, watching as his tail twitched nervously.

"My pack has disbanded. I couldn't keep them together, especially after what happened with you," he admitted, looking away.

Y/n felt a pang of guilt. "I'm sorry, Joone. I didn't mean to cause any trouble."

"It wasn't your fault," Hongjoong said firmly. "We chose to follow you, even though we knew you were loyal to another pack. We got carried away, and now we're paying the price."

Y/N bit her lip nervously and watched as Hongjoong examined her wings with interest. Her wings were white, velvety and adorned with resplendent feathers that glowed in the sunlight, catching Hongjoong's attention. "Wow, your wings look incredible," he remarked, his deep brown eyes locked onto hers.

Y/N hummed softly, meeting Hongjoong's gaze. "Hey, I'm sorry about everything. If there's anything at all that I can do to help you rebuild ATEEZ, just let me know," she offered. Hongjoong shook his head before suddenly sniffing the air. "Shh," he whispered, turning around as his shoulder blades lifted. Y/N was surprised by his sudden movement.

Then she noticed what had ensnared the alpha's attention - another wolf. Smaller in stature, yet still exuding strength, the female was identified by Y/N's acute sense of smell as a beta named Ryunjin. "Ryunjin," Hongjoong breathed, his fur bristling. Y/N blinked in confusion; this female posed no threat, not in any way known to her. Why would Hongjoong perceive her as such? Nevertheless, he faced Y/N, his fur still raised, his teeth bared as if genuinely incensed by the presence of the elegant female.

Ryunjin snorted, her short tail lashing behind her. "I have come for my brother's mate," she declared, casting a glance over Hongjoong's shoulder to meet Y/N's gaze. "Ah, there you are. My brother and his pack are eager to have you return," she stated simply.

Y/N sighed and nudged Hongjoon aside, the alpha observing her with a puzzled expression. Despite the confusion undoubtedly clouding her features, Y/N proceeded to approach Ryunjin, standing eye to eye with the younger female. Bowing her head slightly, she expressed, "I have not ventured all this way only to be forcibly taken back. So, no, Ryunjin, I will not return. You and your brother may remain wherever you currently reside; I will manage just fine on my own." With a final respectful gesture, she lowered her head and added, "Please extend my regards to them and inform them that you have located me, but my decision to stay remains unchanged."

Ryunjin sighed and flicked an ear. "I cannot comply with your request, my lady."

Y/N blinked, unaccustomed to such a denial, particularly within the confines of JYP Entertainment. She had always understood that she could not be compelled to return if she chose otherwise. Pondering the possible shift in circumstances, she discreetly sheathed her claws and finally spoke, "Proceed." She continued, "I cannot linger here either, but I have no intention of trailing after you." With a gracious nod towards Hongjoon, she remarked, "It was a pleasure meeting you both." And with that, she unfurled her wings before soaring off, leaving the two wolves to gaze after her in bewilderment.