"Friends" - Hawks 🍋

Start from the beginning

"Hey," I forced a lightness into my voice, "Ever wonder what the view's like from the top?"

His smile widened as I successfully managed changed the topic. "Only one way to find out, right?"

He didn't wait for an answer, his grip tightened on my arm as he started dragging me towards the rickety metal stairs that spiraled up the side of the tower which looked like it could crumble any day now. Each step we took it creaked in protest, the sound echoing eerily behind us.

The higher we climbed, the less air seemed to be available. My breaths came in ragged gasps as he was going too fast, my legs couldn't keep up with his pace.

"You know," He said conversationally, his voice barely a whisper over the groaning metal, "It's funny how 'accidents' usually happen in these old places. A small slip or even a stumble will cause one to..." He trailed off, letting the implication hang in the air.

Tears pricked the back of my eyelids, blurring my vision. My hand reached into my purse, desperately searching for something, anything, besides the useless spray. My fingers brushed against the cold metal of my phone. There was still bit of hope, maybe I could get a signal, call for help.

As if sensing my plan, Hawks chuckled, a dark, humorless sound. "Don't even think about it," He hissed, his grip tightening on my arm until it felt like it might shatter.

What the fuck was up with him? Why is he being so psychotic? I wanted to just run away from his presence cuz I felt something worse coming up ahead.

The metal platform at the top of the tower creaked under our weight as if it would collapse. I casted a desperate glance around, but there was nowhere to go. We were trapped, and I was alone with a man who spoke of "accidents" as if we were talking about the morning news on tv.

He pulled me towards the frail looking railing, a cruel amusement twisting his features. "Ready to see the view?" He asked, his voice devoid of any warmth.

My throat constricted. "Hawks, please–" I choked out, my voice barely a whimper.

His smile dropped in an instant. "Maybe you should've brought a stronger weapon," He taunted, his eyes shining with a manic intensity in the dim lights.

The world around me suddenly seemed to tilt on its axis, the ground rushing up to meet me as he loosened his grip on me all of a sudden. I was at the edge and started falling backwards, a scream tore from my throat as I squeezed my eyes shut. So, this is how I die...But then, a yank and just as quickly, his hand clamped down on my shoulder, yanking me back from the edge. My scream died in my throat, replaced by a strangled gasp. I clawed at the air, scrabbling for anything to hold onto and ended up grabbing both his arms for support.

Hawks dragged me back onto the platform roughly and I collapsed onto the cold metal, my body shaking uncontrollably. He loomed over me, his face a mask of dark amusement.

"Looks like someone doesn't appreciate the view." He chuckled, his voice filled with humour. It was as if he was having the time of his life.

He leaned in close and I did my best not to flinch back. "Not tonight though." He breathed, the heat of his words sending shivers down my spine. And God knows what he meant by that. All I knew was that his words weren't comforting.

"But this," He gestured towards the dizzying drop below, "Is just the beginning of our new adventures."

He hauled me to my feet, his grip rough and unforgiving. And we descended down the rickety stairs in a blur. My legs felt like jelly and my mind felt like it was trapped in a state of numbness.