Chapter 2: The "Cult"

Ro's POV

I look at my phone and see that it's 8pm. We've been driving for an hour.

I think at this point we just got to the border of their "grounds" since we were halted by men by a gate.

Isaac told me to wait as he talks to the guards at the gate.

It's a bit excessive in my opinion, but I guess to each their own. It reminds me of the North and South Korean border in all honesty.

I just sit in my car before Isaac's car starts moving forward, and I follow suit.

As I drive past the gate I see that the men guarding the gate are glaring at me, as if to say "Don't do anything suspicious while you're here."

Jeez, like I wanted my best friend and practically only friend to be in some cult now do I?

I glare back at them and they immediately snap their heads down with fear.

If they're so strong and mighty why are they afraid of me glaring at them? I pondered the thought.

Since they're supposed to be guarding the borders, shouldn't they be more.... Tough?

Especially since I'm practically half their size.

They didn't check my stuff too which is a relief and a questionable thing, but I guess I can't think too much of it.

After about a 20 minute drive in the area we reached the community center. There's a fountain with a statue of a wolf probably made of copper or some metal compound in the middle of their community.

They must worship some kind of wolf or something?

A short drive from the center later Isaac stops at this fancy, light, 2 floor house. It has this sort of rustic vibe to it.

It's a nice contrast to my modern home back at the city.

As I got out of my car Crystal came rushing towards me.

"Roooo!!!" She yelled.

"Hey Crystal! Haven't seen you since graduation!" I said with a tired yet enthusiastic tone.

"I know, right?? How were you in the big city?? I heard you were rewarded the nobel prize thrice now! Is that for real??" She asked.

"Haha, yeah. Tho it's not much of a big deal since all I did were make a bunch of tech and get them patented." I said.

"Aaa! We're gonna have so much fun together like we used to! We're gonna paint our nails, have sleepovers, dress each other up! Talk about boys!! And-" Crystal said.

Isaac cut her off while talking. "Honey, it's been a long day, you two need to get some sleep."

"True, especially since you have a baby inside of you." I said matter-of-factly.

"Oh! Right!! Well then, I'll show you to where you'll be staying. Ohhh I hope you can stay for the baby shower! Or maybe our son or daughter's birth!" Crystal said.

"Uhh, I'm not sure, maybe if your landlord lets me then I guess?" I said.

"Landlord? Ohh you mean the head of the community?" Crystal said.

"Uh yeah sure. Whatever you guys call it. From the amount of security and rules it doesn't seem like they are the type of person to trust people all that often?" I said.

"Fair enough, but once you get to know him he's not all that bad." Isaac said.

Isaac and this head guy must be really close then, huh?