Chapter 4: Top of the World

"Hey, you're gonna kill it out there." Ritz said as he pulled me into a tight hug.

   "Thanks." I say.

   He grins at me as me and Vels walked out on stage. People screamed. Some cried even. Then the music begins.

   "In the shadows of the city, where the days have, disappeared." I began the song.

   "Some might say it's sorta gritty, full of faces, to be feared." Velvet sang the next line.

   We sang together for the next one. "But there are wonder's that are waiting, underneath the midnight sky, we got the stars illuminating. It's a place for a you and I, a little space for a you, and, I... At the top of the world tonight! Where no one ever has to hide! At the top of the world tonight, you're sittin' safe and starry-eyed! There is treasure you can find, in somthin' someone left behind, at the top of the world tonight! We'll stay that way, at least until the morning light." We finished the chorus and the music continued.

   "In the dark, there's someone singin'." Velvet continued.

   "Like an old familiar song!" I finished the line.

   "Like you fell into a melody that's bringin' you right here," She sang.

   "Where you can belong!" I finished again.

   "And there are wonder's, that are waiting, underneath the midnight sky, and by the stars we're navigating, to a place for a you and I, a little space for a you and I!" I sang.

   "At the top of the world tonight!" Velvet sung passionately.

   "Where no one ever has to hide!"

   "At the top of the world tonight!"

   "You're sittin' safe and starry-eyed!"

   "There is treasure you can find!"

   "In somethin' someone left behind!"

   "AT THE TOP OF THE WORLD TONIGHT!" We both sang. "It can stay this way, at least until the mornin' light."

   "At the top of the world!" My sister sang.

   "The top of the world!" I belt out after her.

   "The top of the world, tonight..." We both finished.

   Everyone screamed excitedly. Me and Vels had executed our new song perfectly. And I couldn't be more thrilled about a something so silly.

   I don't know why, but when I glanced at Ritz behind me, I had an idea.

   I grabbed his hands and pulled him out onto the stage, "W- what are you doing?" He asks. I wink at him and turn towards all the people in the crowd

   "Why don't y'all give a round of applause to the best boyfriend in the world?" I yell, and give Ritzy a peck on the cheek.

   Ever since there was a video posted of me and Ritz in the parking lot, well, it wasn't something we could really hide afterwards, so why not make it official?

   Everyone screamed.

   I grin ear to ear as Velvet rolls her eyes at me. I stuck my tougue out at her. After a minute we disappear backstage.

   Orchid and Velvet embraced each other and started jittering about everything, I turn to Ritz.

   "What'd you think?" I ask.

   "Of what? You dragging me onstage and announcing us? Cause' I loved it."

   "Well, yeah, but also the show, what did you think?"

   "I think you already know the answer to that." He smiles lovingly.

   I giggle and he pulls me in for a hug. I loved him so much, so much that sometimes I cringe at myself. I honestly couldn't see myself getting through life without him.

   Then I realized.

   I wanna spend the rest of my life with him, being there for him, comforting him when he's sad, sulk with him when he's depressed. Get excited when he's excited. Feel happy when he's happy.

   I remembered what Velvet had said the day before the interview. "Don't forget Veneer, if it weren't for me you wouldn't have met your future husband."

   I thought about that for a moment as Ritz buried his face in my shoulder. I wonder if Vels might be right... I do wanna be with him forever, maybe I do wanna merry him.

   "Ritz..." I whispered.

   I felt him rest his chin on my shoulder. "Yeah?..."

   "We uh, should probably get home. Are you and Orchid coming?" I ask.

   "Sure." He whispered.

Velvet's perspective.

   Me and Orchid were watching Milo And Odis. It was one of those old movies and we were enjoying it. The credits began rolling and we just sat there. Eventually I switched off the TV and we sat in silence for a while.

   Then, suddenly, out of nowhere, Orchid said: "I think I'm ready."

   I jolt my head over to look at her. "What?" I ask.

   "I think I'm ready." She repeated.

   "Ready for what?" I ask.

   "To, um..."

   I then realized what she meant. "Do you feel like you're ready?"

   "I, I think so. Or at least, I'd like to find out for sure." She whispered.

   "Alright, we'll take it slowly, one step at a time." I say.

   I ran my hand through her hair and let it rest on her cheek. I kissed her, then again, and again...