Chapter 1

Lisa gave the girls one final hug as their car was packed and ready to go. Kassidy looked over at her church that she grew up with knowing her dad wouldn't come out to see her off to college.

"It'll be alright, Kassidy. You gave him plenty of warning." She tilted her head a bit. Her eyes sparkled as the sun gleamed on them. "Do you want to see your childhood home one last time?" Arianna offered, holding Kassidy's hand tightly.

Kassidy wanted nothing more than to leave Maryland for good after her dad hadn't been so supportive of her being with Arianna. It took all she could not to cry. Kassidy let go of Arianna's hand then walked over to her church that she knew by heart and knew that her dad would be in the office as always since neither of them lived at their old home where she still missed her mom. Kassidy opened the church doors with memories flooded where she met Arianna for the first time and it put a smile on her face then made her way to his office on the far end of the hall since he moved it after she started living with Lisa and Arianna without his responsibility for her anymore. Kassidy knocked on the door.

"Come in." Jamal said in a shaken voice.

"Dad, I am leaving for California." Kassidy replied.

"I wish you didn't leave your home. I wish you would have found a man meant for you." Jamal responded, still sitting at his desk.

"I should have told you when I was with Margaret that I was into girls but I know how much you shame upon it." Kassidy replied, fidgeting with her engagement ring.

"If your mom was here, she could have swayed you into finding a wonderful future husband. Instead, I have a future daughter-in-law because you had to be gay." Jamal responded, anger preaching in his voice.

"Dad, you best be happy that I am still Christian even though I won't be a preacher like you wanted. I am marrying Arianna, I am getting a degree in Art just like her, and be happy with my life instead of being pitied like you because you never moved on from mom and her passing. I miss her too but I am not wallowing over her." Kassidy replied, standing her ground.

"You shouldn't say that because anything can happen even to that woman out there that you are with. You wouldn't dare move on from her if she passed away on you." Jamal responded firmly and still held onto anger.

"She would want me to move on, unlike you after mom requested long ago. I have read her will that is stashed in your room after you made me move with the Kirkland's. You can live in pity but I am going to California and make the best of my life." Kassidy replied back with tears threatening.

Kassidy waited for her dad to get out of his chair to give her a hug and one last goodbye but thus, he never moved. At that moment she had enough standing there. She walked to the pew of the church, gave her mom a prayer of thankfulness and hopes she can guide her dad to the right path too. Kassidy stood up and walked out of the church with pride. She ran over to Arianna and Lisa with a shrug of her shoulders. As her and Arianna got into the car, she heard her dad shout at her. Kassidy told Arianna one moment then stepped out of the car. Jamal hugged her tightly.

"Be safe and I do love you. Call me when you make it to California. I will pray for you both." Jamal said as last effort with tears streaming. "I'm sorry."

"I love you too and I'm sorry, as well. I will call you when we get there." Kassidy replied through her own tears.

The hug lasted a few more minutes then Kassidy got back in the car and now they were off to the other side of the country. Kassidy looked back to see Jamal and Lisa side hugging then as they left the cul-de-sac she assumed they both went separate ways. Before they could even make it out of Baltimore that is when they saw their faces plastered everywhere for unknown reasons which caused them to find a spot to turn around and go home. Arianna quickly made the turn around then made it back to her mom's place blaring the horn and rushing inside.

"Mom! Mom! Where are you?!" Arianna shouted.

"You didn't even leave the state...what's the matter?" Lisa said, swiftly and confused.

"Me and Kassidy are plastered all over with billboards and who knows what else." Arianna replied, fighting an anxiety attack. Her breathing paced, gently baring her teeth.

"Let me look through the computer real quick, see what the news is about." Lisa suggested, rubbing her daughter's back.

"Arianna, it will be okay. Must be a sign that we are getting recognized for something." Kassidy said, a small smile forming on her face.

"You two are needing to book flights. I will have to ship your stuff when I can." Lisa sighed. "Arianna you will have to leave separately from Kassidy. You both can meet up at the scheduled dorm at your college" She smiled. "You both pulled such an amazing proposal that it went viral. And, on top of that, your relationship is unique. Being biracial, which isn't very common among lesbians." Lisa explained calmly to keep Arianna from freaking out. "Grab what you need for about...two weeks and I'll give you both money for food and such but you have no choice to fly out of here."

Arianna looked over at Kassidy with sad eyes. They can't do anything without the other and going to college on different flights wasn't their plan and they couldn't delay going to college anymore, they were scheduled for Fall Semester.