Prologue

On a lone island off of the coast of Illmore where the waves lapped against the rocky shores sat a large stone castle. The island was quite large to only house one building. Trees both tall and short swayed with the wind around the island. There was one small strip of beach on the northern end of the land. Other than that, it was all forest.

Dim candlelight flickered within the windowpanes of the castle that sat in the middle of the island, the muted yellow color brightening only small parts of the halls. Trees and shrubbery surrounded the walls that blocked off the castle. A stone pathway leading to the doors held small flowers between the cracks in the slab.

Ivy grew along the walls, creeping upward toward the windows and around the entrances. It seemed to the naked eye of someone just passing by that it was abandoned. Some even thought it was yet another casualty of the war between Illmore and Wolfsbane.

Little did those passing pirates or sailors know that a family did reside there. That castle had been in the Winslow family forever.

Long ago, when the lands were first being settled Damon Winslow bought the whole island. Of course, this is when the land was much cheaper and buying an entire island wasn't just a reality to only the rich and powerful. Damon along with a group of men he hired built the castle. Then he moved his family in. Over the years, generations after generations lived there. Until one year, one family moved out and to a nearby village on the closest coast of Illmore to be closer to the towns.

But then the war broke out, plaguing every village and town. No one was safe. So Grey Winslow–knowing of the prophecies that ran through the family line–gathered his family and rushed back to Winslow Manor.

He took his pregnant wife, his son, his young daughter and whisked them away to the Manor he'd not seen since he was a boy.

Once arriving at the Manor, Grey decided his young children would not be allowed off of this island. In his mind, it would be too dangerous. Not only because of the raging war between two very powerful countries, but because if one of them were the one to fulfill the prophecy they would be in danger.

He wasn't going to damn his children. He couldn't. The war would have to rage on by itself. Grey was positive that the war could be won without the help of the prophecies. Though, he still had his doubts. Especially since twenty-five years passed. As the years went on, the war got worse and Grey's hope waned.

But as they say throughout the lands, prophecies always find a way to come true. You can't outrun what's meant to be.

It was said that the Winslow family line was descended from Life. She had given a few the Gift throughout the years. She gifted them with the power of healing, growing.

It is also said that another family was descended from Death. Some of which he had cursed with the power of killing. With a war raging and rumors spreading like wildfire, Grey worried that one of his children would inherit the gift.

It was said that the child blessed with the powers of Life would be the key to a war.

It also said that Death lurked close by, trying to steal away the powers for his own good. But that was just one interpretation of the prophecies. Some other witches, warlocks, and psychics said that there was a different meaning under the surface, that they had to read between the lines.

They said that maybe that wasn't the only prophecy that was directed at this war–at these families.