one / inconspicuous posters

Start from the beginning

Another breath. Riyan bought the pin to tack to the top of the paper poster. 

Come on.

Almost there.

Riyan pushed the tack into the paper. The slight rip in the paper felt like it echoed throughout the hallways. He could hear his parents at the back of his mind, their chagrin, their lectures, their scolding—

6 minutes. Riyan’s lips curl up slightly.

His parents would never see this. 

Now, it was all up to fate to make the decision.

Would anyone notice the inconspicuous poster? He had no idea, but the fact that he managed to at least stick up the poster was already a feat in itself.

5 minutes. Riyan shook his head, rushing to class.

[🔎]

T

eddy notices small things. How one leaf cracks and the other relents against the base of his shoe. How people’s smiles can tell if they’re lying or not.

Or the new poster on the pin board.

Certainly, the person who stuck it up had some sort of intention to hide the poster, with the dull colours and the fact that said poster was smushed between two other larger ones.

But Teddy walks past this board every day, and his eyes follow the trails of the posters every day, too. The music poster, with its almost eyesore of a red colour, or the history club poster with its overwhelming amount of illustrations and ugly watermark. But this poster has no specialities – it was plain, almost as if written and printed for the sake of being a poster. 

Inching closer, Teddy peers at the poster. The dark background hosts a light coloured text, with no other images or decorations. The font is plain and unassuming, Arial or Helvetica. Hastily put together, it seems. 

But the words.

The words are anything but.

Teddy raised an eyebrow. Someone wants to investigate the music teacher’s murder, huh. He peeks up at the clock: 11:00 AM. The meeting is at 11:10.

Why should he go? He had a liking for music, sure, but he never personally interacted with this specific music teacher. What'd he get from attending this meeting? Would he be the sole person at this meeting? What if this is some late April fool's joke?

But no, no one jokes about death. Especially not when regarding the state of Ilfreycombe right now.

Perhaps the meeting will be fun. But maybe that's too much to ask for as well.

He supposes he'll get his answers in room 123.

[🔎]
J

ust go in.