Babygirl in Black

Start from the beginning

As I got closer to the table, I could tell they were having an intense conversation during my absence. The looks on everyone's faces were a medley of frustration, exasperation and determination but I couldn't care less. By the time this dinner was over, I'd have them convinced and Tyson's money would be well spent. Then he and I could go back to business as usual and I wouldn't have to think about something as stupid as a future with him ever again.

"Sorry about that, I just couldn't hold it any longer," I said, sitting in my chair with a forced smile. I felt Tyson's gaze hit the side of my face like a ton of bricks but I avoided it as I grabbed my wine glass and took a sip.

"No worries, you didn't miss much. We were just discussing how much Tyson and I have in common," Sonya spoke up, drawing my gaze in her direction. She was smiling like she'd just won the lottery and it puzzled me. She might have been right about Tyson having no real interest in me, but by her own admission, he'd had no real interest in her either. Fucking him while he dodged a commitment didn't sound like the victory she seemed to think it was and her satisfied grin actually made her look like a goofy.

"Oh really? I can't relate at all. We're such opposites that we always seem to disagree about one thing or another. We end up having these deep conversations where we expand each other's perspectives and challenge each other's minds and it's quite refreshing. Dating someone who was just like me always felt so boring and redundant in the past," I answered, sipping my wine again as I stared at her. Her Cheshire Cat smile faltered at my words but she quickly recovered before she spoke again.

"Well I find that being with someone who truly understands you is essential when building a life together. It's just easier when you don't have to explain everything or have debates about every little problem. Powerful men don't need that kind of stress, they need peace and support. Tyson deserves that, don't you think?" she questioned, giving me a fake innocent look as she tried her best to mask her shade. I smirked, not the least bit phased. Clearly she hadn't learned her lesson about being petty with me. I invented petty.

"Who have you built a life with again? And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I ever said we don't understand each other. As a matter of fact, it's because we spend so much time talking through our differences that we know each other on basically a molecular level. And if I've ever been a source of stress to this man... well, I'll leave it to him to tell you how amazing I am at relieving it," I said, my smirk still intact as I watched her intently. This time around she couldn't maintain her grin, dropping it from her face like it was hot, and I held back my laughter as it would've been completely obnoxious in this bougie ass restaurant.

"But to answer your question, I'm well aware of what he deserves and I have every intention to give it to him," I finished after pausing to let my previous words sink in. Tyson's arm returned to the back of my chair and I felt his hand rest against my neck, his thumb softly stroking my skin. I took it as a silent co-sign of my words and as heavenly as it felt, I ignored it just as I'd ignored the weight of his gaze. I couldn't get caught up in his bullshit again. I had to stay focused on playing my role.

"I don't fully agree with Sonya but she was right about one thing. Tyson is a powerful man. Some women see that and think they can take advantage, and as hard as I've tried to teach my son to beware of those kind of women, love can be quite blinding. So, as a mother, I have to ask... what is it that you see in my son?" spoke his mother, pulling my attention away from Sonya and to herself as she sat across from me.

The same look of mild disgust she'd worn since meeting me still permeated her beautiful yet mature features. Tyson was the spitting image of his father, but all his facial expressions? Martha Baptiste-Day originals. Her disgust reminded me of he and I's first encounter so much, the two of them looked like fraternal twins. It was slightly distracting as I held her gaze.