i the proposal

when the bell went for the end of the day like everybody else, i started packing up my stuff into my bag. but ive been trying to be more neat so i took longer than usual. normally my best friend lily waits for me after class, but i knew today she wouldn't because she wants to run over to the other side of the school so she can 'bump into' her crush in the year above.

me and lily both have crushes on these two seniors who are also best friends and don't really know we exist. my crush is elijah, and hers is toby. they're only one year older than us but they still like to pretend we're nonexistent. but that doesn't stop us from giggling about them and spending way too much time on sleepovers together planning unrealistic plans to trick them into falling in love with us.

"hey, tessa," a guy says. i look up from putting my stuff away to see nate. nate is so annoying. i've only spoken to him a couple times ever and i can tell how rude he is.

"hi," i reply quietly. i don't know why he's talking to me. i look around the class quickly. everybody else has left: it's just me and him.

"so.. you know how you're really good at spanish?" nate scratches his neck as he speaks. i nod. my grandparents live in spain so we visit them every summer which means i've picked up a lot of spanish. that's why i'm good at it.

"can you tutor me? as a favour. i'm failing," nate asks. the look in his eyes tells me he's been building up to ask me for a bit. that'll be why i keep seeing him look at me funny in class. when i told lily, she thought he must have a crush on me. she actually told me to 'hop on that d like herpes' because she thinks nate is very hot, but i shut her down. like i said, hes rude.

"i don't know," i shrug, "i have a lot going on at the moment,"

not true. i'm single, i don't have a super busy social life and we don't have any big tests coming up to study for. truthfully, i have practically nothing going on at the moment.

"oh, right.." nate says. i've never noticed him failing before.

we stand there awkwardly for a couple more seconds. me because i still have some bits to pack in my bag and him for no obvious reason. he just stands there watching me.

"you sure?" he asks again.

"yes. i'm busy. sorry," i say.

i grab my bag and go to leave the classroom. he walks behind me. just as i'm crossing through the doorframe, two guys walk down the hallways and i wait for them to pass so i can go out into it. stupid hallway traffic. i look up at them and notice the senior. it's elijah! i instantly feel my blush even though all he did is walk past me. elijah looks at me when they've just passed me and his face doesn't even change. no eye contact, just looks me up and down with a neutral expression and walks on with his friend. still, if lily was here we'd be squealing right now. he looked at me!

"hey, wait, tessa," nate calls me again. i turn around.

"yeah?" i say.

"i know you said the problem is that you've got a lot on," nate scratches his neck once again in the same spot, "but can we make a deal?"

"what do you have in mind?" i ask him.

"well, anybody can see how you look at that senior guy elijah. except elijah himself," nate laughs and i glare at him but before i can leave he speaks again, "you want him bad. am i right?"

i pause for a minute then give in, "yeah, you are." is it that obvious i like him?

"so what if i could help you get him to like you?" he grins. i tilt my head slightly at him confused.

"and how exactly would you do that," i narrow my eyes at him. nate may be a tiny bit cute, but he doesn't have a girlfriend. so i don't think i should take relationship advice from him.

"easy. we can pretend to date, and make him jealous. it will work," nate proposes. seriously? that's his plan? that never works, except from in corny movies.

but i walk with nate to our next class, and he convinces me. if you ask me, it's still a little stupid. but there's no harm in trying and he's completely certain that it will make elijah fall for me. i don't have anything to lose, so i decide to go forward with it. in the next lesson, we sit together and instead of working we make up some terms for our fake relationship.

no telling anybody that it's fake

that one was nate's idea. if it was up to me, i'd tell lily about our plan and i know she would support it because she thinks me and elijah would be cute together. but nate says that if one person finds out, everyone will find out about it.

no kissing each other

that one was mine. nate added that there are exceptions to that rule, like if someone is expecting us to kiss and thinks it's super weird that we're not because we're dating. i told him that would never ever happen. he said i was probably right, but just in case.

when t stops tutoring n, the relationship is over

that one was just our general rule. i tutor him in spanish, we 'date' so elijah gets jealous of us and likes me. if one stops, so does the other. because that's the trade.

"okay, is that it?" nate asks me, "i don't have any more,"

"me neither. but, i hope you realise number two includes things other than kissing," i make sure.

"like what?" nate plays dumb. he definitely knows what i'm talking about.

"you know." i sigh.

"no, no. i really don't." he pretends.

"shut up." i groan.

"i seriously don't! no, tell me," he laughs.

"go away," i say, but i laugh too and then add quietly, "like, sex and stuff,"

"ohhh, sex and stuff!" he pretends he didn't know what i was talking about. i go red. not like i'd ever admit this to anyone, let alone nate woods, but i've never even kissed somebody before. so talking about this is a bit uncomfortable. i know for a fact that's not the case with nate though.

"you're such a dick," i sigh.

"wait, she swears?" he jokes, "enjoy hell, pottymouth," i sigh at his attempted humour. nate swears all the time. in front of anybody including literal teachers. like i said, i didn't know he was failing spanish but the whole class knows he has beef with our spanish teacher. every time he gets something wrong he yells 'FUCCKKK!' really loudly and he always gets held behind for it. i don't have a problem with cussing, but i have a fear of getting yelled at by a teacher for it.

by the end of the day, we are in agreement on the terms of our fake relationship. nate invites me to his party on saturday, because he says that's the perfect place to announce our new relationship. i also said that we should spend some time together everyday so it is more believable.

"tessa, if you want to hang out with me just ask," nate pretended to roll his eyes and i laughed at him. maybe he isn't so bad after all.

omg 1249 words i feel so professional! also i know im not a good writer im not trying to be so if u guys have any advice for me feel free to say in the comments i'm just sharing a story!!