Chapter 8

As the elevator ascended to the tenth floor, Maya and Alex stood side by side, their fingers laced together as Alex pulled them toward his apartment. Maya giggled beside him as she tried not to trip over her heels.

Behind the barrier of the door, Alex backed her against the hardwood, connecting his lips with hers in a breathtaking kiss. Maya felt herself taken over by the desire coursing through her veins, igniting a firestorm inside her. She melted into his touch, her body responding instinctively to their raw intensity.

Alex's hands trailed down her body, only stopping when he reached behind her and untied the bow at her lower back. His dark eyes connected with hers as he slowly moved the straps of her dress over the soft skin of her shoulders. The fabric that clung to her body gave way to gravity and dropped to her waist, exposing her breasts to him as her chest heaved up and down as she worked to catch her breath.

A sudden wave of panic washed over Maya when images of Sarah flashed through her mind. "Stop," Maya whispered, her voice trembling with uncertainty as she pushed against Alex's chest, her eyes wide with fear. "Please, Alex, stop."

Confusion flickered across Alex's features as he pulled away, concern etched in the furrow of his brow. "Maya, what's wrong?" he asked, his voice gentle and reassuring as he reached out to cradle her face.

Tears welled in Maya's eyes as she struggled to find the words to explain the sudden attack of emotions that threatened to spill over. "I'm sorry, Alex," she whispered, her voice choked with emotion. I want this, I do, but... Sarah."

The mention of Alex's ex's name felt like a punch in the gut. Without another second passing, he knew precisely why Maya couldn't finish what they had started. Loyalty was paramount to what made her her. It was another thing he had always admired about her, but at this moment, it burned in his chest that it might be one thing they might not be able to overcome.

Alex's expression softened with understanding as he placed the straps of her dress back in place and pulled her into his arms, holding her close as he whispered words to comfort and reassure her. "It's okay, Maya," he murmured his voice a soothing balm against her frayed nerves. "We don't have to do anything, I promise."

Maya buried her face in the curve of his neck, feeling grateful for Alex's patience and understanding of her internal conflict. In his arms, she felt safe from the storm raging within her.

Alex held on tightly, feeling her body, and the scent of her perfume mixed with the subtlety of sweat made him hold on longer than he intended to.

As they pulled away from each other, Maya's eyes drooped with fatigue, and her body felt heavy and exhausted. Alex noticed her tiredness and couldn't bear the thought of her going home in that state.

"Maya, why don't you stay here tonight?" Alex suggested, his voice soft and concerned. "You can take my bed, and I'll crash on the couch. It's no trouble at all."

At first, Maya wanted to protest, worrying it would inconvenience him. But as another yawn escaped her lips, she realized she was too tired to argue. "Are you sure?" Maya asked, her voice tinged with gratitude.

"Absolutely," Alex reassured her, his eyes warm with kindness. "You'll be more comfortable here, and I don't mind crashing on the couch for one night."

With an appreciative smile, Maya followed Alex back to his room, feeling a sense of safety wash over her at the thought of being able to rest without having to worry about getting home in her exhausted state.

As they reached his room, Alex grabbed a t-shirt from his dresser and handed it to Maya. "Here, you can borrow this for tonight," he said, his tone casual but caring.

"Thank you, Alex," Maya replied, her voice filled with genuine appreciation as she accepted the shirt. "You're too kind."

Alex smiled, his eyes soft as he watched her. "Of course, anything for you. I'll be in the living room if you need anything." He left her to settle into his bed, grateful for the opportunity to care for her, even if it was just for one night.

As Maya lay in Alex's bed, surrounded by his comforting scent, she couldn't help but feel a sense of peace wash over her. Being in someone else's space was a strange sensation. Still, there was something undeniably comforting about it, especially knowing that Alex was just a few steps away in the living room.

As she closed her eyes and allowed herself to relax, Maya's mind began to drift, replaying the events of the evening over and over again. Despite the unexpected turn of events, she was amazed by Alex's kindness and understanding.

Soon, Maya found herself drifting off to sleep to the steady rhythm of her breathing, mingling with the soft sounds of the city outside.

Maya's internal clock woke her up sooner than she was ready, causing disorientation as she remembered exactly where she who's bed she woke up in.

The anxiety immediately came to her, and her stomach tightened as she remembered what almost happened last night and all the guilty feelings that stopped them.

Maya grabbed her phone from the nightstand beside the bed and pulled up the Uber app to order a car to take her back to her apartment. The idea of the silent awkwardness that would ensue if Alex took her home was everything she wanted to avoid. Plus, she didn't even know what her current feelings were for Alex. She had a lot to work through, and she needed space to do so.

Almost immediately, a driver confirmed her request and released a sigh of relief. Maybe she could slip out unnoticed.

After slipping back into her dress and picking up her shoes to carry in her hands, she quietly opened the door and peeked out. There was silence, so she felt there was a chance she was safe.

Maya's heart skipped a beat as she spotted Alex in the kitchen as she passed by, pouring two cups of coffee. Panic surged through her veins, her mind racing with a million thoughts and excuses as she tried to come up with a plan of action.

Should she make a run for it and leave without saying anything? Or should she muster up the courage to face him and address what had almost happened between them last night?

Caught between the two options, Maya hesitated in the doorway, unsure of what to do next. She watched Alex for a moment; his back turned to her as he focused on his task, completely unaware of her presence.

Taking a deep breath to steady her nerves, Maya cleared her throat, drawing Alex's attention to her. His eyes widened in surprise as he turned to face her, a faint smile playing at the corners of his lips.

"Good morning," he greeted her warmly, his voice breaking the silence of the room. "I hope you slept well."

Maya returned his smile, her stomach churning with nerves as she tried to find the right words to say. "Uh, yeah, thanks," she replied, her voice sounding small in the quiet of the room. "I, uh, I just... I should probably get going."

Alex's smile faltered slightly, a flicker of disappointment crossing his features before he masked it with a nod of understanding. "Sure, yeah, of course," he said, his tone casual but tinged with something Maya couldn't quite place.

As Maya turned to leave, she felt a pang of regret gnawing at her insides, knowing that she was going without addressing the elephant in the room. But the thought of confronting the situation head-on was too daunting at that moment.

With a heavy heart, Maya made her way to the door, her footsteps echoing in the silence of the apartment. As she stepped out into the hallway, she couldn't shake the feeling that she was leaving something important behind.