four ⊹ ࣪ ˖

CHAPTER FOUR
Spicy!

───────── ⋆⋅ ⟡ ⋅⋆─────────

5 February 2024
6 months before the end of the world

— Neo Culture Institute
of Technology, NCIT

"Happy birthday Ji," Jia smiled softly at the taller boy.

"You got me a gift?!" Jisung exclaimed in shock, his mouth forming into his infamous gummy smile.

Nodding her head, Jia watched the boy she loved open his gift. The pair were currently standing in the school field. Jisung had just finished his daily 2.4KM run and Jia figured it the best time to see him.

Taking the lid off the purple box, Jisung's eyes widened at the gifts Jia had prepared. A puffy, green coach jacket with his name embroidered on the back as well as a pair of wired earphones.

"Got those for you because you recently lost your AirPods and you keep complaining about being cold. I got you a photo card of your favourite idol too!" Jia cheekily smiled.

"Really? Zhong Jia is my favourite idol?" Jisung laughed loudly, holding up multiple photo cards Jia printed of herself.

"Wait, is she?!" Jia gasped dramatically, giggling at Jisung's amusement to her joke.

"You are indeed, my favourite girl," Jisung spoke softly, nodding in agreement to Jia's nonsensical question.

Gently placing the gift box down, Jisung tackled Jia in his embrace. Squealing in delight, Jia felt her knees go weak. His previous statement had melted her heart, but his strong arms crumbled her completely.

Losing her balance, Jia yelped in fear before  falling back. Instinctively, Jisung managed to turn his back to prevent Jia from hurting her back. Instead, his body cushioned her while the pair continued giggling at their shared clumsiness.

"Thank you Ji," Jisung softly thanked the girl who now lay on his chest.

"I wouldn't miss your birthday despite our conflicting schedules," Jia said, pinching Jisung's cheeks.

For a moment, the pair smiled at each other contentedly. One was oblivious, one was in love. Their hearts beating as one, though neither of them knew it.

"Do I get a birthday kiss too?" Jisung wiggled his eyebrows teasingly.

"Hmmm..." Jia thought aloud.

Internally, Zhong Jia was melting. She had absolutely exploded on the inside as she stared longingly at Jisung's lips. As she slowly inched closer, Jia felt the universe tug on her back. It was probably a warning that it was too early to kiss Jisung.

"Gross dude! Didn't you say you only saw me as a sister?" Jia chuckled nervously.

With that, Jia withdrew herself back before pushing herself off Jisung. Although she blamed the warning from the universe, Jia knew she only had herself to blame for being a coward.

"Oh my, I thought you were really gonna kiss me!" Jisung teased, obliviously laughing over their interaction.

"Whatever Park!" Jia rolled her eyes, quickly brushing away the clenching feeling in her heart.