Chapter 9

Looking over at my digital clock on the bedside table, it reads 8 AM

Looking over at my digital clock on the bedside table, it reads 8 AM. Sighing, I roll over on my back, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. Another night of practically no sleep. Even if I'm used to getting barely any rest, it still sucks to be up all night and then have to force yourself to go to work, only to come home and start the cycle all over again. I'm already starting to miss that night when Colette stubbornly stayed over and nursed me back to health, as if it were her sworn duty or something.

Thinking back to it, it was the first night in a very long time that I found myself falling into a deep sleep. Though I doubt the reason had anything to do with her being there. It was probably just the Benadryl she gave me, even though I already take sleeping pills that don't work anyway.

Getting up, I turn off the alarm even before it has the chance to go off. I stretch my arms and run my hands through my messy hair. Pushing myself out of bed, I shuffle into the kitchen to make some coffee, knowing I'll desperately need it this morning, and honestly, most mornings.

After starting the coffee maker, I head into the bathroom and take a quick shower, keeping the water cold to help wake myself up.

Stepping out, I wrap a towel around my waist and finish getting ready. I then throw on some clothes, not caring too much about what I'm wearing. It'll get dirty anyway from work.

Walking back into my kitchen, I fill up my mug with some coffee and take a sip of the much-needed liquid. Looking across my kitchen island, I see the flowers Colette gave me. "What a strange girl," I say to myself. I can't say I've ever had a girl give me flowers before. Letting out a weak laugh at the odd gesture, I shake my head while rubbing my eyes. I then check the time and decide to grab something on the way for breakfast, as usual.

Bringing the mug of coffee with me since I didn't have time to finish it, I grab my dark blue jacket with the company logo and name tag embroidered on it from the chair, as it was a bit chillier today, and head out the door with no enthusiasm to start the day.

Walking out, I look over at Colette's balcony, where I usually see her after work. Potted and hanging plants, vines, and flowers decorate her balcony, making it very obvious whose it is. Catching myself start to smile at the thought of her usual bright self, I quickly drop it when I start to think about how I haven't seen or talked to her in a couple of days. I wasn't necessarily avoiding her; I just... I'm not even sure. Maybe I was feeling guilty about how I reacted when she asked me if I could go with her to this art gala thing she was invited to.

In my defense, she caught me by surprise with that favor. Plus, I hate crowds and most people, so a busy art event that I have absolutely no clue about or care for didn't sound the least bit appealing to me, even if I did owe her a big favor. Or maybe it was something else; I don't know, nor did I have the energy to think about it right now.

Getting into my old but reliable truck, I start the engine and quickly head off to work, trying my best not to think about the bubbly brunette who somehow has managed to nudge her way into my life at the moment.