Seventeen

The next morning, feeling as awful as I'd predicted I would, I finally put the cell phone I'd been given to use and texted Britta.

Jo: Hey. Do we have a doctor on staff?

Her response followed a few seconds later.

Britta: Several. Are you feeling okay???

Jo: Other than hungover, yeah. I just wanted to ask one a few questions.

Britta: I'll notify Dr. Tomine immediately. I'm already on my way to escort you to her office.

Jo: No, you don't have to do that. If you just want to tell me how to get there...

Britta: Walking across the lawn now.

I blew out a breath before sliding the phone into the back pocket of my jeans. Probably should have seen that coming. I finished pulling on my shoes when her signature triple knock sounded at the door.

Britta looked tidy and professional as always, this time in a powder blue blouse over flared jeans. She frowned as soon as I stepped out onto the porch, her sculpted brows furrowed.

"I've got her Tripp. I'm sure Avery or Kyrian might need you for something today."

Tripp grimaced. "I'm pretty sure Beta Avery would rather scalp me instead."

The Beta's mate snorted delicately. "That man is up to his eyeballs right now. Trust me. If I'm wrong, I'll owe you a hundred bucks."

"If you're wrong, I'll be dead." He grumbled as he turned and walked away. "Morning Jo."

"Get some sleep!" I called after him, chewing on my lips as I watched him go, before turning my attention to Britta.

"It's not like that." I told her immediately when I noticed her eyes had gone round as saucers.

"It wouldn't be my business even if it were." she replied delicately.

"But it's not." I reiterated.

"Alright. Come on. Dr. Tomine is expecting you."

Together we walked back across the lawn and up to the third floor, turning left down a wing of the pack house I'd yet to be in. The doctor's door was next to a small waiting room that consisted of a reception desk and receptionist, a vending machine, and four plush chairs.

The receptionist was a curvy pretty brunette in pink scrubs, who looked up as soon as we rounded the corner.

"Good morning Mrs. Winslow. Miss Pascall." She greeted us warmly.

"Good morning, Amanda." Britta replied.

"We've already got the examination room ready for you. Miss Pascall, if you'll please follow me."

"I'll be right here." Britta called out as I followed Amanda through one of the doors off the waiting room.

The examination room was white and sterile, like the ones I'd had to visit back when I was human. I cringed away from the examination table as I entered, choosing to sit in the hardbacked chair against the wall rather than sit on it. If Amanda thought anything about it as the door closed behind her, she didn't remark on it. Instead, she went about taking my vital signs, writing the results down on the clipboard she'd carried in with her, and told me that the doctor would be in to see me in just a moment.

Alone in the room, I realized that some of the answers I wanted would require me to lay on that examination table. The very thought of it had me break out in a cold sweat, and a familiar trembling began in my fingers and began to work its way into my hands.