Twelve

It was well into the evening before I got up from the table, back aching from having been hunched over for so long. Still, it felt good to be able to really do something. I'd gone over every document, organizing them into easier to search stacks before deep diving into the data. It wasn't complete, but it spanned several years. Picking out the imperative stuff and working with that wouldn't be too difficult.

I snagged and filled my water bottle, intending to stretch my legs a little, and left the cabin. Tripp sat with his back to the cabin wall, staring at the pack house. Light shone from nearly every window, welcoming and inviting. He glanced up at me as I stepped out. The dark shadows under his eyes looked like bruises.

"Hey."

"Hey." He replied, climbing to his feet and stretching. "I thought you'd be at it for hours."

I shrugged.

"Get stiff?"

"That's what she said." The words left my mouth before I could stop it.

Tripp busted out laughing, "So now she's got jokes?"

I snorted and flipped the hair off my shoulder. "I've always had jokes."

"And I'm the Easter Bunny."

"There's a terrifying thought."

He let out another low chuckle. It was nice to see that the tentative comradery we'd found after our hunt had lasted past our time as the wolf. When he wasn't trying to be Mr. Serious Guard, Tripp was actually really funny and easy to talk to. Kind of like having an annoying older brother. Or almost a friend.

Together we walked the little path that led around the side of the pack house, as close as I'd dared to come, and towards the well-tended garden. It was surprising to see a woman standing there, fists planted firmly on her hips, overalls splattered with mud, glaring down at one of the beds like it had eaten the family dog.

"Look, you gravely little bastard. Either fall in line with the others or prepare to be hoed into oblivion."

I nearly bit my lip till it bled to keep whatever stupid comment surged its way up my throat. Tripp, however, did not share that compulsion.

"Is there a line for that or are you thinking more of a 'take a number' situation?"

The woman whipped around, green eyes narrowing while pieces of her blond hair continued to slip out of the messy bun on top of her head.

"Walk away Tripp before I take my hoe to you too."

I choked as Tripp snickered like a teenager. "Spoken like a true pimp, Winnie."

Instead of beating my guard within an inch of his life, which honestly was pretty justifiable in the moment, she blew out a gusty breath and wiped the flyaway hairs from her face, leaving a giant smudge of dirt across her forehead. Then she looked at me and grinned conspiratorially. "If I kill him, think you'd help me hide his body?"

"Absolutely." I replied instantly.

"Hey!" Tripp exclaimed with a dramatic hand over his heart. "After dragging my ass mile after mile behind you, this is the thanks I get?"

"No one would ever find him." I intoned solemnly, fighting a grin.

Winnie's giggle sounded like wind chimes. "Oh, my gawd, I love her!" She sat her weapon, I mean hoe, to the side before hurrying over and sticking her hand out in an excited flourish. "Excuse my rude ass brother. We tried to teach him manners, but he was dropped on his head as a baby, so the lessons never really sunk in. I'm Winnie."

I hesitated a moment, steeled myself, then grasped her hand. "Jo."

She shook my hand enthusiastically, then suddenly let go. "Nice to meet ya. You're the one my idiot brother's been escorting around, right?"

I glanced at Tripp, noting his pinched expression, then nodded. "Yeah, I guess so. Dropped on your head as a baby huh? That actually explains a lot."

Tripp glared down at me. "Don't even go there."

Winnie pushed her brother farther to the side. "Ignore him. So, what brings you out the garden?"

"Just curious. You do good work."

She blushed at the compliment. "Thanks. It's a lot sometimes, but I love it. The soil is usually pliant and takes crops well. Actually, I'm just about finished for the day. Have you eaten yet? Spaghetti and meatballs are on the menu. With garlic bread, which is like, a total must. I could also use a glass of wine after the trouble this garden bed's given me. Oh! It's movie night too. It's the 1998 version of Godzilla, which a lot of people don't like but I do so—"

Tripp laid a hand on the top of her head. "Take a breath Win. You're giving us all whiplash."

Winnie sucked in a deep breath then sighed. "Yeah, sorry. I do that sometimes. So, what do you think? Say you'll come?"

"Um...sure, okay." I said, unable to do anything against such an earnest expression.

Winnie whooped. "Okay, excellent. Let me clean up my mess down here and grab a shower. Meet you in the mess hall in thirty!" she shouted before speeding away towards the greenhouse, hoe in hand and hair now completely free of its bun and streaming out behind her.

I stared for a minute, shocked, then tilted my head up at Tripp.

He held up his hand. "I already know what you're going to say. Yes, that's my sister. Yes, she's always been a little tornado. No, we don't look alike. She's adopted. And if you do kill me, just know I'll haunt you for the rest of eternity."

I paused, then popped my lips. "Yeah, that just about covered everything actually."

Tripp looked at me for a long minute, his gaze flicking across my face rapidly. "You sure you're up for this? It'll be a lot of people probably. At least for Godzilla, anyway."

I chewed on my lip, thinking about what Kyrian had said earlier. Then nodded. "Yeah, I think so. I am pretty hungry."

At that moment my stomach gurgled, as if trying to illustrate the point. "Okay. I'll be behind you as much as possible. Alpha told me about the touching thing. It's just...the unexpected ones that get to you? Since you didn't turn when you shook Winnie's hand?"

I considered that. "Pretty sure. Other than being punched I really don't know for sure what might set it off."

His face darkened. "Punched." It wasn't a question.

I shifted backwards, uneasy. "I thought you would have been...made aware of that."

Tripp's expression didn't alter a single iota. "I was. That doesn't make it easier to hear."

"Sorry." I mumbled and took a step away from him.

His hand reached out, as if to stop me, but halted just short of my shoulder and fell limply back down to his side. "Don't...please don't apologize. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said anything."

Tripp's remorse was palpable, his tired eyes filled with regret. An understanding dawned as I looked at him. He wasn't angry at me, but for me.

"You're a really genuine guy." I said, marveling.

He chuckled, just once, but it was enough to break the tension that had started to build. "Don't let Winnie hear you say that. She's got enough stories to quickly disillusion you of the notion."

My lips curled up in a gentle smile. "Nah, I don't think she could."

His smile answered my own. "Come on, let's get you to the mess hall so my sister can finish annihilating what's left of my pride."

He started to walk back around to the front of the house with me in tow. Later, when I got the chance, I'd ask him why he looked so damn tired. Like...like a friend should. Because we were maybe sort of friends now. Right?