PART ONE: CHAPTER 5

Start from the beginning

"Arith Longyhael. Forgive me for this but I did not expect Lord Kannervi would convince you to come work for me. Your father's death was a tragic thing. Many would not have the guts to come here. You are brave. I need a royal advisor who is brave. I need someone who is willing to put their life in the balance to ensure I survive. The first question I ask all of my candidates is: what do you think of my regime?" The Emperor was trying to see if Arith spoke true to his heart. If he did, it would end badly but if he didn't the situation could become even worse.

"Your Majesty, I do not think it would be wise for me to voice my opinions in front of your men. It would be outright slander!" The Emperor nodded his head and sent everyone away. Both of them stayed silent for a minute or so. "My opinion of your regime is that it could be less brutal. If I may, Your Majesty, you have drained the colours from this kingdom. Oppression is not how you rule a kingdom."

"My old royal advisor said the same! Look where he is! My men found his decapitated head floating in a river crying out loud! Everyone scorns me for doing this but I am only doing what is necessary. Magic people have poisoned Aevuhan. If we do not enforce punishment on them, what will happen? Will they rise up and kill us all? I am the backbone of Aevuhan. Without me, Aevuhan would fail. Magic people would rule the streets. Fire would engulf the skies. Cities would be divided into two- one side for magic people and one side for mortals. I have united this kingdom. Tell me this, Arith, what would you prefer? Oppression or to be the oppressed?" The Emperor stood up from his throne and walked to the balcony.

"You do not need to enforce punishment. Magic people have caused no more harm than mortals have. Magic or not, we are still humans. Humans have a very dark nature so to speak. We take things for ourselves because we are fuelled by greed. Our desires are so savage we could be compared to that of a dog. The things we do to each other can never be justified. You talk of unity but humans can never unite. We will continue to wage wars against each other until we die. A lust for blood can never be satisfied, Your Majesty. It will become second nature after you kill so many people- you will quench for blood like you quench for water. You confuse power with bloodlust."

"I understand why you requested the guards leave the room. You have insulted my Empire. Arith Longyhael, you would be lucky to earn yourself a job working for me. Unfortunately, you are so dangerous that I have to have you on my side. If Estella Arkov ever found you, I fear it would be the end for everything I have worked for. If you work under me, you must promise to support the Empire no matter what your political views on it are."

"If that is the only prerequisite then I shall fulfil it for you, Your Majesty. I shall work under you as your royal advisor and do whatever you ask of me so long as it is not immoral." Arith kneeled for the Emperor again. It was a sign that he would serve the Emperor as his father had done to King Edvont all those years ago.

"All that is left to do is to take the oath. Guards! Come in here at once!" The Sargi all rushed through the door and stood in different areas of the room. "I need one of you to read out the oath for Arith Longyhael."

The Sargi looked at each other. None of them could decide who would read out the oath for Arith. It would be dangerous if any of them made a mistake because the Emperor was often temperamental. No matter how close you were to him, he could end the relationship in an instant and would. Finally, one of the guards volunteered.

"Do you, Arith Longyhael, swear to serve under the Emperor for as long as you live. Do you swear that you will never betray him or backstab him? Swear that no matter what, you will put the Emperor's needs before your own. You must swear to never let any harm come to him while he is around you. Are you willing to put your life on the line for the Emperor?

"I, Arith Longyhael, swear to serve under the Emperor for as long as I live. I swear that I will never betray him or backstab him. I will never put my own needs before his and will never let any harm come to him while he is around me. I am willing to put my life on the line for the Emperor and swear my allegiance to him." Arith spoke with truth.