PART ONE: CHAPTER FOUR

Start from the beginning

"I am free! My name is Valentin Morosa and I am free!" The girl ran through a field of grass barefoot and rolled down the hill. The Sun had come out from behind the clouds brightening the land around it. Images of her mother's smile played in Val's mind. I wonder what she would think of this. Mother, I am terribly sorry for what happened to you. I will avenge you.

There was only thing Miriaz Morosa had bothered to give her daughter during her final days: a locket. No picture was inside of it- essentially it was useless. Open you stupid thing. What secrets do you seem to be hiding? She fiddled with the locket in her hands to try and pry it open. It was no use. It was sealed shut. She checked the back of it for any engravings and fortune seemed to be on her side. At the back of it was an inscription in Ancient Asderian reading, Merrok Iy Neda Hresp Iy Ocana Duken Iy Er Uten. Roughly, it translated to: Red is The Sea, Blue is The Ocean, Dark is What's Underneath. Val searched the bottom of the necklace for clues and snapped off the chain. With her long fingernails, she yanked the bottom. A scrunched piece of paper fell out. It had turned a shade of yellow from age. Miriaz Morosa had died two years ago. Two years ago they ripped her from me. Suddenly violent gusts of wind blew across the hill. The piece of paper flew through the air. It had been the last memory of her mother so Val could not lose it now. The girl got up from the ground and pursued it. She ran through the town following its every movement. It meant more to her than anyone could possibly know.

"That piece of paper! Somebody stop it from blowing away! Please, someone!" Val was helpless. The weather was much too fast compared to her. The paper could travel ten metres in five seconds. Everyone on the street just looked at her with no expressions on their faces. They think it is a ploy. The Empire has tormented them so much that their perception of things is warped.

Just when all hope appeared to be lost, a sweet man handed the piece of paper back to her yet his dark words contradicted his kind actions

"The thing on that paper is dangerous. It can drive a man insane. Stop this while you still can. Escape before the darkness consumes you. By having that piece of paper you are putting yourself in peril. It is something not to be intertwined with, especially children."

"I understand." Val felt pangs of uneasiness. The man pulled her close and whispered more words warning her of grave danger.

"I am being serious. It may look like a jewel but it cuts you deep and leaves a scar in your mind that never goes away. Burn this piece of paper, toss it into the fire. He is looking for it too and if he knows you are, he will find a way to take everything from you. Go as far away from him as you can. Find an island or somewhere he will never look."

"How do you know about this jewel if it has been lost for so long?"

"I know about the jewel because I am the reason it is lost. It ruined my friends and made them turn against each other. You may think I am insane and that is fine but listen to me. I am trying to make history not repeat itself once again." The man walked away from her and disappeared behind an alley.

Val was horrified by what the man had said. If it really did have the ability to ruin someone perhaps that was the reason everyone who used it became corrupt. Her mother's lifelong mission was to find that jewel and even after her forty years on this earth she had still failed to find it. I will not make the same mistakes she did. I will make sure I find it before I have no time left.

She handed the coins given to her by the noble to the seafarer and walked to the very end of the ship to ensure she did not have to put up with any of the people. It would be over if anyone recognised her, for everyone always said she had her mother's eyes. The seafarer nodded at her while also taking a peak at the revealing clothes she was wearing. Val did not have the time to change into more appropriate clothing: she had to get to the island. The man may have been insane but I am not risking getting caught because I did not listen to him. It is the best choice I have. The girl would have slept to make the journey go faster yet anyone could steal the paper from her. She would have to be alert at all times.