08 | despite the conflicts

Start from the beginning

Anya's response was quiet, almost to herself, but it was loud in the silence that followed my outburst.

"Anya doesn't like you after all."

The simplicity of her statement cut through the noise, and I felt a sting that had nothing to do with the physical ache from the game.

What was that?

My face turned red as I watched myself being offended by a single statement.

The scene before me blurred as I wrestled with a mind full of emotions. Annoyance at Becky, frustration with Anya, and a peculiar feeling of regret that I couldn't quite place.

"What did you say, Stubby Legs?"

The words came naturally, as if my mouth had a mind of its own.

"Hey! It's rude to say that! Especially to a girl!" Becky threw her hand up in the air. "What is wrong with you?"

And yeah, despite it all, it left me grappling with an uncomfortable realization. Something that I just discovered. Despite our conflicts, despite the hatred, there was a part of me that didn't want to see Anya hurt.

Wait, no! Don't say that!

The class was abuzz with chatter, mostly about Bill's impressive throws. I tried to blend into the background, hoping to avoid further discussion about my 'heroic' moment, but the whispers seemed to follow me like a shadow.

As we settled back into the classroom, the noise level decreased, but the murmurs persisted. I could feel the curious glances and stifled giggles aimed at me, making my ears burn.

I was lost in thought when suddenly, the loud clatter of a chair snapping me back to reality. I glanced up, my heart racing from the sudden noise. It was just Becky, dropping her books onto the desk a bit too enthusiastically as she returned to class.

"Look alive, Damian," she teased, who seemed to have noticed my startled expression. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

I rolled my eyes. "Very funny."

"Really, Damian? Jumping in front of that ball for Anya? You think I wouldn't have noticed? Me? Of all people? What got into you?" she smirked.

"It was nothing," I muttered, annoyance lacing my tone. "Just a reflex. Don't read too much into it."

"But it was so heroic!" she continued, clearly enjoying my discomfort. I rolled my eyes and turned away, hoping my disinterest would end the conversation. "Just like Berlint in Love! It's just like that one episode where..."

I opened my mouth to retort but was interrupted by the arrival of Mr. Henderson, who clapped his hands for attention. "Settle down, class. Let's refocus our energy on the lesson, shall we?"

Class slowly resumed its usual rhythm, but I couldn't shake off the feeling of unease. As the teacher droned on about the importance of historical events, my gaze drifted outside the window, where a group of older students were playing dodgeball in the courtyard.

Oh...the irony...

My thoughts kept drifting back to Anya's backward smile and how she had earnestly tried to win, even with her disastrous throw.

I risked a glance at her, and our eyes met. Her emerald eyes were bright despite the earlier loss. I quickly looked away, my heart thumping against my ribs.

"Damian?" Emile's voice brought me back to reality. "Are you okay? You've been quiet."

"Yeah, I'm fine," I mumbled. The words were more for myself than him. "Just tired, that's all."

The rest of the day passed in a blur, lessons melding into one another as I mechanically took notes, my handwriting sloppy with distraction. When the final bell rang, signaling the end of the school day, I felt a sense of relief.

As I packed my bag, Anya approached, her steps hesitant. "Sy-on Boy..."

I held up a hand, cutting her off. "Don't worry about it. Just forget it happened. And please, just do me a favor and stop calling me that."

"But Anya..." she began, but I didn't want to hear it.

"I said, forget it," I insisted, my voice sharper than I intended.

My face burned.

Anya frowned, then turned away to join Becky, who was waiting by the door.

I watched them leave, a mix of emotions swirling inside me. Emotions I didn't dare to name.

By the time I returned to my dorm, I was exhausted of all of the pretending. I lifted the picture frame. The first day of school.

Emile and Ewen had gone to the Year 6's science fair, Ewen wanted us to see the astronomy exhibit, but I told them that I wanted to stay back and rest.

I looked upon the group photo again. I had been gazing upon everyone of my class all morning before school. I had decided not to attend when I was in the nurse's office after Anya had punched me. Yes, I could've, but it would be shameful. Plus, even if I could, Father wouldn't be able to attend, and who knows what Mother was doing at that time.

Then there's Demetrius...

His accomplishments and status as an Imperial Scholar.

It all made me...

No...Damian, you will not feel sad. Not again.

I at least had Ewen and Emile at my back, but sometimes they could just be so clueless of all that people deal with.

Optimism is a good thing. That's for sure. Though, sometimes I wished they would've just sympathized more. Leave less for me to explain.

Not that I wanted to explain.

The dodgeball was a mess, and even though it was worthless anyways, it was just a chance to prove my abilities. And I had failed.

"Hey...Jeeves."

"Yes, Master Damian?"

"May I talk to Father...please?"

"I'll see what I can do, but he is busy at the moment. In a meeting with an impor—"

"Yes...yes...I know!" I couldn't help but roll my eyes. Of course he was busy again. How could I forget. "He's busy with an important client, I know."

"Would you like for me to pass the message, Master Damian?" Jeeves questioned.

"No...it's alright. I wouldn't want him to have the trouble."

I slammed the telephone back and collapsed on my bed.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

If you liked this chapter, make sure to tap the star button!

Thank you for all the reads, votes, and comments! I love y'all so much!

We're almost at 1K!!! 

Omg!!! I'm so excited!!

Luckily, school was less of a burden, so I could work on this chapter.

Hopefully, I can publish one tomorrow right away. But I'm still not completely sure.

If you have any recommendations for any chapters that could work for this story, please comment, here....

Anyways, thanks so much for reading!

~Sunniva ♡