Nablai's Nebula

April has knocked on our doors, bringing with it days full of celebrations galore. A haiku, a poem here, a hug there and lots of awareness that opens up revenues of empathy and care. There's not much we can do, but to stay true--to ourselves. Be You. The best version of you and strive to be better than you were yesterday. It's hard as hell, and there'll be days when nothing seems swell. But whatever happens, don't give up, never ever give up on yourself ❤️ It's all you have. Keep striving, learning, pushing and believing that nothing is impossible.

This month's sub-genre took me into the rabbit-hole with Merge Punk in Tevun-Krus Land. Intriguing to the core, I was left with an "Encore"!

 Intriguing to the core, I was left with an "Encore"!

The term Merge-Punk was first used in the mid-1970's. Similar to the punk music revolution, punk genres within speculative fiction were constantly evolving, changing and merging. There were distinctive, evocative styles, but the boundaries blurred and constantly overlapped. There were some genres defined by a fusion of aesthetics, use of technology, and inspirational influences.

By trying to link them by their fundamental tropes, such as capitalism, corruption of society, the evolution of literary misfits, we can indicate how the Merge-Punks center their stories to that of the rebels which inturn intricately defined the whole scenario of music and resistance—misfits and protagonists, middle-class woes, pioneers, scientists and artists. In many ways they embody the "high tech, low life" characteristic of Merge-punk, but can be used to cater to diverse definitions of technologies and life.

The impact of Merge-Punk on modern culture maybe understated at times, but it has galvanized a gamut of subgenres that offer a unique blend of rebellion, creativity, social commentary combined with its distinct aesthetic, philosophy, reflecting the complexity of themes, and inculcating the diversity of Merge-Punk.

In the words of Joey Romone, "All punk is attitude. That's what makes it. The attitude."

As much as Merge-Punk science fiction genres flout the genre categorizations, the purists detest defying the boundaries. They are of the option that steampunk isn't steampunk if it steals the style but drops the tech, or dieselpunk isn't actually punk when it's openly patriotic or wasn't solarpunk so prominent to be defined as a cohesive genre.

While the fandoms around each genre furiously debate genuine interpretations of each other, as writers, these colorful, developing subgenres give us a lot of creativity and challenge.