CHAPTER ELEVEN

Raven Darby & Liz Cho

There was a knock at the door. "Come in," I yelled.

It wasn't Tendai, it was a black woman who appeared to be in her 40s. "Hello," she said. I am Tendai's mother Elaine. I wanted to invite you for breakfast. I saw you through the window coming in earlier on.

Hi Elaine, I am Adessa. Is it 8 a.m. already?

"It's twenty minutes past eight actually," she said.

Okay. Let me wash my face and come.

Elaine left. She had a hint of a Jamaican accent. Tendai resembled her a lot.

The house was lively. Earlier on when I had arrived it was quiet. The birds were chirping and someone was vacuuming. Tendai had showed me the dinning and living room when he took me to the kitchen to store my food so I knew my way around.

Elaine and a man who looked to be her husband were having breakfast. Tendai had the eyes and ears of this man.

The man smiled at me. "Are you Kemi?" he asked.

"No, Ray, he broke up with her," Elaine said.

"I am sorry about the confusion, we've only ever met one girlfriend of Tendai before, she was called Quinn," he said. Tendai mentioned that he was dating Kemi when he joined Riverview academy but we've never seen her before. I didn't know that they had broken up.

We begun dating recently.

"What's your name?" he asked.

My name is Adessa Kamara.

"Nice meeting you Addie," he said. I hope you don't mind me calling you that.

It's okay, it's my nickname actually.

"Perfect," he said.

"Come join us for breakfast," Elaine said.

I joined them. There was bacon, fish fingers, cereal, pastries, coffee, tea, pineapple, eggs and potatoes. I picked up a plate and served myself some tea, eggs, bacon, two slices of bread and pineapple.