8. 𝔉𝔞𝔪𝔦𝔩𝔶 𝔇𝔞𝔶

Start from the beginning

Mal thinks about everything that's happened since she came here. How her friendships with Jay, Carlos, and Evie have grown, how she hasn't had to deal with her mother everyday, and how much she actually enjoys school. She also thinks about Ben and Marissa.

Ben had been able to make her heart feel things she's never felt before. She enjoyed the flutterings in her stomach and heart and how happy she felt on their date. She knew she was starting to genuinely fall for him, which only made it harder for her to do her mother's bidding.

And Marissa had become the sister she never had. Marissa had stood up for her and the other VKs many times and had done her best to make the VKs feel welcomed, but not pressured to change immediately. Mal had felt protective of the princess, leading to her plan of protecting her from the villains once they take over.

🎶A million thoughts in my head🎶

🎶Should I let my heart keep listening?🎶

🎶I know it's time to say goodbye🎶

🎶So hard to let go🎶

A tear of sadness falls into the brownie batter, completing the anti-love spell, and symbolizing her breaking heart.

~~~

Sunday comes sooner than I expected and I stand off to the side with Mom and Dad as Ben and the others sing to welcome everyone here. They had asked me to join, but I didn't want to. I look away from my parents iffy dancing and see the VK's making their way through everyone to the buffet.

Ben walks back over after the song ends and Mom hugs him, "That was so lovely!" The photographer then comes over so that we can take a family picture.

"Just here?"

"Ready?"

"Just stand still against me."

Ben then decides to break the news, "Oh. By the way, I have a new girlfriend." Mom and Dad - mainly Mom - look at Ben relieved, "Oh." Ben, nods, "Yeah." Mom speaks up, "Well, I never wanted to say anything, but I always thought that Audrey was a little self-absorbed, with a fake smile and kind of a kiss-up" I nod, "I did, too, Mom. His new girlfriend's not like that, thankfully."

She smiles, "Oh, you've met her?" I smile back, "Yeah. I think she's wonderful." Dad looks intrigued, "Do we know your new girlfriend?" The photographer tells us, "On the count of three. One, two..." Ben says while waving her over, "Well, sort of. Mal!"

The photographer says, "Three." He takes the picture, Ben and I the only ones smiling as our parents look shocked. The poor photographer looks disheartened by the picture and I smile apologetically, "I'm so sorry." He shakes his head, "It's all right, Princess Marissa."

Ben approaches Mal as the photographer leaves, "Mal? Mal? I wanna introduce you to Marissa's and my parents." They hug and I go up and her as well, "Hey." Ben turns and grabs her hand as he introduces her, "This is Mal. From the island. My girlfriend."

Mom tries to break out of her shock, "Hi." Mal says a bit shyly, "Hi." Dad hesitantly waves and I share a look with Ben before he says, "I was thinking maybe she can join us for lunch." Dad responds, "Of course, any friend of Ben and Marissa's..." Mal interjects, "I actually came with my friends."

Despite her hesitancy, Mom tells her, "Well, you should invite them. Because the more the merrier!" We look over at them and I chuckle amused, "Seems the boys discovered the chocolate fountain." Mal smiles, "Yeah, I'll go grab them." Dad then asks, "How about a game of croquet before lunch?"

Ben and Mal smile while I grimace, "Of course."

"Game on."

"I'm horrible at croquet."