Chapter 24 - Dorm Room System

School was a buzz of excitement.

All anyone could talk about was finishing the remainder of the school year with the dorm system in place, and with so little notice. And yet through all the excitement, everyone seemed to simply accept that it was so studies could be prioritised. Not one person pondered if this explanation was truth. Except for one.

"Why move to a dorm system in such a rush?" Bakugo asked, his red eyes narrowed suspiciously.
"What did your dad tell you about it?" He asked.

I shrugged, uncomfortable about having to lie.

"He said it was to make sure our studies are prioritised before we become official heroes." I tried to look as nonchalant as possible but Bakugo had a way of seeing through me.

"I don't buy it." His lips pursed in a tight line.

I swiftly averted my gaze, focusing on ensuring my face gave nothing away. A snicker told me I had failed.

"You're really not going to tell me?" He challenged, his voice low.

"It's not my place to tell anyone anything..." I responded weakly, still unable to meet his gaze.

We were outside, leaning against the grand stairs near the school entrance. School had ended early for the day, with most of our peers arranging their new rooms on school property. We probably should have been doing the same but Bakugo found it more important to drag me out here for an impromptu interrogation.

"Something is going on. And I'm going to find out." He hissed.

"I'm more worried about how we're going to slip away for training if we're under the dorm system." I pointed out. And it was true. I had worried about how we'd be able to slip out with the excuse of studying when we were living on school grounds.

Bakugo pondered this.

"I don't know." He sounded dejected. "It's going to be hard to get to the training facility that's for sure." He huffed.

"But we'll just have to be careful that's all. We can still train."

"I don't know... I saw them putting up cameras at the entrances. The whole dorm system is a ruse to keep us on campus. It won't be easy to sneak out."

Bakugo looked conflicted. As if he was pondering something painful.

"These teachers are really getting on my nerves..." he growled. I knew how much training meant to him. I knew he would be upset that we may no longer have this, I just hoped he was right, and we really could get our own training time in. I gently placed a hand on his shoulder. His eyes flickered to me immediately, as if my touch took him by surprise.

"We'll make it work. I promise." My voice was soft, gentle.

I half expected him to shrug me off, but to my surprise, he seemed to lean into the touch. Things had really changed between us... We really trusted one another.

"Let's not worry about it too much. We should get our rooms set up with the others before they come looking for us." I offered him a weak smile that he didn't return.

"Yeah, okay." He replied simply.

The rest of the day went by fast. When we got to the doors all the rooms had already been allocated and most of our peers were deep into unpacking. Bakugo's room was on the same floor as mine but at the complete other end of the corridor. We waved our goodbyes and sauntered into our own rooms.