Chapter 13 - How does he know?

The next day was a bit better

The next day was a bit better. Dad and I were back to normal but Shoto was still ignoring me. Not that I was shocked. He wasn't the only one ignoring me. Bakugo was also acting like I didn't exist. I guess that was a step up from the constant insults though. As the lunch bell rang Shoto had stormed out on his own saying nothing but it seemed to have caught a bit of attention from my classmates. They watched him as he retreated down the hall then turned to watch me as I sat uncomfortable under their stares. Wanting to avoid Shoto talk with my fellow pals I packed my things away fast.

"I'll meet you guys at the cafeteria. I've got a couple things to do first." I said to Uraraka in a rush before nearly sprinting out the door.

Was it it too obvious that I was trying to avoid questions? Maybe... but right now I didn't care.
I didn't really have anything to do either, I just needed a reason to bolt.

Sigh.

I ended up at the vending machines. Looking down at one of them I saw a packet of peanuts in the bottom tray. Could it be mine from the other day? I reached in and grabbed it.

"You really thought you could get away from me huh?" I cackled to the packet of peanuts.

"Talking to yourself?" Bakugo stood behind me, arms crossed.

Oh crap. This is embarrassing.

"Uh, no. I was talking to my peanuts..." I replied with embarrassment while awkwardly  waving the packet in the air.

He stared at me like I was diseased.

"You know that's worse, right weirdo?" He gruffed, brow raised.

I sighed.

"Yeah, but it had already come out my mouth by the time I realised..." Incidents like this made my social anxiety worse.

Bakugo just stood there, eyeing me as if trying to decipher something.

"You told the others you had something to take care of... and this was it?" He made me sound far lamer than I really was.

"Okay you're trying to make me sound like a weirdo." I groaned.

"Hate to break it to ya nerd, but you're doing that just fine on your own." He retorted. He wasn't wrong. I sighed again.

"I just... wanted to avoid talking about certain topics at lunch, so I made up an excuse to be by myself for a bit..." I hung my head in shame for being caught out.

"Why don't you just tell people to mind their damned business. You got no guts or something?" He huffed.

"I do!"

He looked at me with a blank, unconvinced expression.

I sighed, yet again.

"Okay I don't. Absolutely none." My head hung lower and lower.