So as the light turned red, Karishma began to cross, unprepared for a scooty speeding toward her from the opposite direction on the wrong side of the road.

Everything happened in an instant. She noticed the motorist's eyes widen in alarm, mirroring her own shock. Suddenly, she was yanked back by her arm, narrowly avoiding the scooter as it whizzed past.

Karishma then turned her gaze to her rescuer, only to lock eyes with the very person in her thoughts.

Standing before her was her Inspector Sahiba, impeccably dressed in khaki, her intense gaze fixed on Karishma.

"Aap theek hain, Ms Singh?"

Vehicles honking in the sweltering heat with a ridiculous amount of smoke and dust flying doesn't really make for a good background score, and yet the 'Ms Singh' sounded so soothing and musical.

"Ms. Singh?" Haseena shook her by the shoulders, and as Karishma slowly nodded, Haseena let out a relieved sigh. Grasping Karishma's hand in hers then, they crossed the road.

Once they reached her jeep, Karishma could hear Haseena speaking to the Head Constable in the driver's seat, but she couldn't quite make out their words.

After all, her attention was entirely focused on their intertwined hands, lost in the memory of the first time this had happened. How she had attempted to leave and how this person had stopped her.

"Pushpa ji, UPxxxxxx is the number. It was a white colour Activa. Santosh se kehkar iske owner ke details nikaliye aur unhe kal thaane bulae. Wrong side par signal todkar rash driving kar rahe thhe. Ms Singh ka accident hote hote reh gaya".

Karishma was jolted from her reverie by the cold sensation of a bottle against her cheek. She looked up to find Haseena gazing at her with concern.

"Please drink. You look flushed," Haseena urged.

With the realization that her hands were unoccupied, Karishma accepted the bottle. After a couple of sips and regaining her composure from their unexpected encounter, she turned her full attention to Haseena, who was now looking off towards the polling area.

'Kese inki ek jhalak se hamari sari bechaini gayab ho gayi. Kaahe itna sukoon mil raha hai humein'.

Haseena then turned to Karishma, who promptly offered her the bottle, murmuring a 'dhanyawaad' in gratitude.

"Aap kahan jaa rahi thi?" Haseena focused on Karishma, noticing her struggle to open her eyes against the bright sun and the sweat trickling down from her forehead, with droplets of water running down her chin.

"Hum bas aise hi—" Karishma was responding when she suddenly felt herself being pulled closer by Haseena, who had grabbed her arm.

A handkerchief was then pressed against her forehead.

Karishma's ears rang with the sound of drums, overwhelmed by their closeness.

Haseena gently patted her cheek and retracted her hand with a grin. "You were standing in the sun. There's some shade here."

The other person could only offer a nod in response. She had also observed the perspiration on Haseena's brow, but the thought of reaching out to wipe it away so casually was an act far beyond her comfort zone. It was something she could never envision herself doing.

"Toh aap humein bata rahi thi ki-

"Ji, hum wo yaha se jaa rahe thhe toh ye jeep dikhi aur humein laga ki shayad aap ho sakti hain toh hum...bas aise hi...aapse milne...ke liye...wo bahot dinn ho gaye thhe..toh..." Karishma trailed as Haseena smiled softly at her.