Chapter 28

*Honest Conversations**

Arie could sense the weight of Sam's disappointment as they sat together in the quiet corner of the classroom. His usual cheerful demeanor was overshadowed by a palpable sense of dejection, and despite his efforts to hide it, Arie could see the hurt etched in his eyes.

Unable to bear the tension any longer, Arie gently broached the topic, her voice soft with concern. "Sam, are you okay?" she asked, her eyes searching his for any sign of reassurance.

Sam let out a heavy sigh, his shoulders slumping as he met Arie's gaze. "I'm fine, Arie. Just... feeling a bit stupid, I guess," he admitted, his tone tinged with self-deprecation.

A pang of guilt pierced Arie's heart at the sight of Sam's distress, and she reached out to place a comforting hand on his arm. "You're not stupid, Sam. It's okay to have feelings," she reassured him, her voice gentle but firm.

But Sam shook his head, a bitter smile playing at the corners of his lips. "I just don't understand, Arie. You used to say that you liked me, and now... now you're rejecting me," he murmured, his voice laced with confusion.

Arie hesitated for a moment, the weight of Sam's words hanging heavy in the air. And then, with a heavy sigh, she spoke the truth that had been weighing on her heart. "Sam, I do care about you. But... there's someone else. Someone I love so much that I can't imagine being with anyone else," she confessed, her voice trembling with emotion.

Sam's expression softened at her words, a flicker of understanding dawning in his eyes. "I see," he murmured, his tone tinged with resignation. "Well, whoever he is, he's a lucky guy to have you."

Arie offered him a small smile, touched by his acceptance and grace in the face of rejection. "Thank you, Sam. And... I'm sorry. I never meant to hurt you," she apologized, her voice filled with genuine remorse.

Sam waved off her apology with a dismissive gesture, a faint smile playing at his lips. "Don't worry about it, Arie. We can still be friends, right? After all, we've known each other since we were kids," he suggested, his tone hopeful.

Arie nodded, a sense of relief washing over her as she realized that their friendship could withstand even the toughest of challenges. "Of course, Sam. Friends forever," she promised, a sense of gratitude swelling in her heart for the unwavering support of her childhood companion.