Chapter 6

The evening air was filled with the sound of laughter and chatter as Arie's house became a hub of activity, welcoming friends and neighbors for a casual gathering. The scent of homemade treats wafted through the air, mingling with the warmth of friendship and camaraderie.

As the guests mingled and caught up with one another, Arie found herself drawn to Sky's familiar presence, a constant reminder of the bond they shared. Living next door had its perks, including impromptu visits and shared moments of laughter and reflection.

Soon, Stormy, Theo, Andy, Vendy, and other kids joined the gathering, their playful energy infusing the atmosphere with a sense of joy and mischief. When they spotted Arie and Sky together, they couldn't resist a bit of teasing, their knowing glances and whispered giggles punctuating the air.

Undeterred, Arie and Sky took it in stride, exchanging playful banter and easy smiles as they navigated the social dynamics of the gathering. And when it came time to sit down for dinner, Arie found herself gravitating towards the empty chair next to Sky, a silent invitation that he readily accepted.

As the evening wore on and conversations flowed freely, Sky turned to Arie, his eyes twinkling with curiosity. "Do you have a crush on someone?" he asked, his voice laced with playful innocence.

At first, Arie hesitated, unsure of how to respond. But as Sky's gaze bore into hers, she couldn't help but feel a sense of vulnerability wash over her.

"Well... maybe," she admitted, her cheeks flushing slightly. "But it's nothing serious."

Sky raised an eyebrow, a mischievous smile playing at the corners of his lips. "Oh, come on, Arie," he teased, nudging her gently with his elbow. "You can't leave me hanging like that. Spill the beans!"

Arie laughed, the sound ringing out like a bell in the warm evening air. "Okay, okay," she relented, her voice tinged with amusement. "But you'll have to guess."