I can see it now - Part 2

The first thing Taylor notices when she opens her eyes is the steaming mug of coffee on her bedside table. The second is the tiny noises from the bassinet pushed close to her side of the bed. They are the type of baby noises she is coming to recognize as neither happy nor mad. More the sounds Mara makes when she is deciding which it will be. Travis jokes that they are her way of making sure they know she's here. As if they'd ever forget. They are both completely obsessed with her—their greatest accomplishment together.

She sits up and reaches forward to take a sip of her coffee. Travis must be back from the hotel already this morning. She glances at the time on her phone and notes isn't time for the baby to eat yet so she takes a few minutes to appreciate the hot coffee that her husband has started setting out for her in the mornings. It is a gesture that calls back to their early days together when she would visit KC and he would leave her to sleep in when he had to be up early for a workout or practice. There had always been coffee waiting for her.

Setting down her mug, she reaches for the baby. Settling back with the sweet, warm weight of her tucked close.

"Hey there, sweet cheeks," she murmurs, rubbing her hand over her dark hair. Somehow she's also adopted the silly nickname Trav has given her.

Mara snuggles her little head into the crook of Taylor's neck, tangling her tiny hand around a lock of Taylor's hair. She seems content to drift off for a longer sleep with her mother close by.

Mother.

A title she is still getting used to. Still learning to wear. One she at one point in her life was sure would never be hers. One that she had tried to convince herself she did not want.

She grips Mara a little tighter as the ghost of that feeling washes over her. A feeling that lingers sometimes even now. It had dissipated when she and Travis started talking about kids, had lessened more when they found out she was pregnant, and had all but fled the first time she saw Mara in Travis's arms and he looked at her with the biggest smile, and said, "Good job, mama."

Yet, she sometimes remembers how close she was to never having this. How one different decision and she wouldn't have them both. If she had stayed in the delusion of believing it was okay to change everything she wanted and make herself small in the name of "love," she would be....well she didn't want to know. She's just grateful that she's here now exactly where she is meant to be. That accepting the loss and heartbreak of that time brought her here for all the good in her life.

It makes her hold the baby a little closer.

Travis interrupts her thoughts, peaking his head around the door. "Hey, are you sleepy heads awake?"

"Mmmm, one of us is," she says with a yawn.

He looks amused at her yawn and jokes, "Takes after her mama with all the sleeping in."

"Excuse me, just her mom?"

"Okay, we're all guilty." he concedes. "Want some breakfast? I don't have to be back until two. The beauty of night games."

"Oh yes," she answers, sitting up. "I think I might even be up for making something."

"Actually," he replies. "Come with me." He reaches for the sleeping baby, kissing her head and cradling her in his arms like the pro he has become. He quickly leans down again to kiss Taylor on the cheek. Then tucks his face into her neck just like Mara had.

"Missed you," he murmurs into her skin. "She do okay?"

Last night was the first night since the baby was born that she did not have family or a friend staying with her while he was gone with the team the night before a game.

"Not too bad. She only got up at her normal times. I missed you though."

She has gotten used to them partnering up in the middle of the night. While they could take turns, they usually both wake up with the baby. It's led to some of her favorite rambling 3 a.m. conversations. But this is the last year they'll be doing nights away with the team. So while she misses him on these nights, she doesn't want to rush these last few games he gets to be a part of the team he loves so much—that they both love.

He pulls away and helps her up, leading her down the hall to the kitchen. She catches the smell of cinnamon and maple syrup once they get near. And as they round the corner, she sees the counter spread with French toast, bacon, and fruit.

"What's all this?" she asks, surprised.

"I stopped at HomeGrown for breakfast. You deserve to rest and we know I'm not allowed near the stove for anything harder than eggs. Plus, they have pistachio cherry French Toast right now, Tay. Pistachio."

She laughs and reaches up to kiss his cheek, leaving her hand there for just a moment. "You're the sweetest."

He goes to put Mara down in her baby seat but she decides to wake up and grumble which is her way of insisting he hold her. He simply adjusts her in his arms as he hands Taylor a plate.

Once everything is plated up, they sit at the breakfast bar. Mara opens her eyes and yawns. Content now in her daddy's arms with her serious blue eyes locked on her mother as they eat.

It isn't until halfway through eating that Taylor realizes. She stops suddenly and puts her fork down, taking in Travis and Mara. Her two favorite people. The entirety of her life right there in front of her in their kitchen. Benji brushes up against her foot as if to complete the moment.

"Trav," she says quietly, almost a whisper.

He notices the serious look on her face and puts his fork down as well. Turning to fully face her, he asks, "What is it? What's wrong?"

"Nothings wrong," she asserts. "We're here."

"What?" he replies, confused.

"French toast Sunday."

He looks momentarily lost as to her meaning, but then it dawns on him. He reaches for her hand, kissing it before squeezing it hard. He moves Mara closer to her in his arms and leans his head up against Taylor's.

"Kid underfoot. You and me," he says, calling back to that night.

She draws him down to her and kisses him deeply, baby secure between them. As he pulls back, he asks, "Is it like you pictured?"

Putting one hand on his shoulder and one hand on Mara's little back, she answers. "It's even better."  

A/N: This has been done almost since the first chapter was, but it was missing like one paragraph that I couldn't figure out. Thanks to Taylor for giving me the words after the Apple Music voice messages today.

Yes, Mara is a Marjorie nickname.

And I realized that having just Benji in the scene could construe something but just know that Olivia and Meredith are just off in another room in the house happy.

And finally HomeGrown is a real place. It was at the top of the list when I googled "Best French Toast Kansas City." And yes they do have Pistachio Cherry French toast...and I want some now.