The Year of Yes - Epilogue

Saying Yes

September 2024

The convertible roars down the road as they take the long way from the house to the stadium. Taylor lets her hand drift through the wind above her head. Nothing could be better than this. The sun is close to setting. It is the perfect, warm September day. And she's here with her favorite person in the world.

She looks over as Travis shifts the car to a higher gear, pushing the engine faster. He glances at her with a grin. And here in this car with her man dressed to the nines and that ridiculous mustache reminding her of all their firsts, she feels the same butterflies she had a year ago today as they drove off after her first game. In all honesty, they've never gone away.

"Sorry we have to make a stop at the stadium," he apologizes. "I swear the only place I can think my ID could be that I haven't looked is my locker."

"Don't worry, Trav. We've got plenty of time before dinner."

She watches him anxiously tap his fingers on the steering wheel. It's funny how nervous he is to have misplaced his driver's license.

"Besides, it's nice to visit on the anniversary of the day we broke the internet."

He throws his head back laughing. "Oh man, that was electric."

They are celebrating today because she had been on tour an ocean away on their actual anniversary with him back at training camp. Since she's been home, they've been busy with a quick vacation with their families and the start of the new football season. Besides, today just seems perfect.

He pulls into the back entrance of the stadium with the security team's car right behind him.

"Mark's meeting me to let me in. Come with me?" he asks.

"Yeah, of course. The guys can hang out here since no one is around today."

Once inside the gates, they begin the familiar walk she takes for every home game she manages to attend. At this point, she knows this route in her sleep. However, Travis interrupts their stride and gently tugs on her hand as they approach the entrance reserved for visiting teams.

"Hey, Tay, wait. Come with me,'" he says, nervous look back on his face.

She's confused but follows him through the tunnel, noticing the lights of the stadium are up.

"Travis, what's going on?" she questions.

"Trust me?" he replies with a smile.

"Of course," she reassures. "But-"

She stops talking as they emerge onto the field. Her eyes go wide as she takes in the view. Bright, tall sparklers are lit all across the middle of the field, giving an added glow to the stadium lights set to a warm white hue. Travis turns to her and starts walking backward as he leads her to the middle of the field, squeezing the hand he holds three times.

Taylor is starting to catch on to what is happening. And with it, her heart begins to pound. It's not from nerves—she isn't nervous at all.

It's from anticipation.

He stops them when they are on the 50-yard line. She realizes she's already crying, even though he hasn't said a single word yet.

"Tay," he smiles, swiping at her cheek. His nerves seem to have disappeared, and he stands before her tall and sure.

"I know I've told you I'm not good at words, but—" he stops, looking shy while gesturing around them. "And I know this is kind of cheesy."

"You know I love cheesy," she says, reassuring him.

"I do. I do know you," he says, voice wavering. "I also just want to do this at the place I looked at you and was so sure of you. At the place we spent all last fall going from something special to forever."

"When you were sure of me?" she can't help but ask.

"Yeah," he says, laughing a little and blushing. He points up towards the suites.

"I was up there, and you were right here, and I knew I was going to do everything I could to know you."

She pulls him close. Not letting him continue before she kisses him at least once.

He draws back, but she keeps him near with her hand on his cheek. Tears track down his face, but his smile...his smile is so big that it takes over his whole face, crinkling the corners of his eyes.

"Taylor, I'm so fucking in love with you. And I want...shit," he huffs out a breath, looking for words. He knocks his head softly against hers. "Marry me? Please, baby."

She reels him into her again, her "yes" directly against his lips. Time seems to stand still as they fall into a kiss that stands as a silent declaration of all they feel for each other.

He leans back and god, the look on his face. It will be burned into her memory forever. She's sure she'll write pages, melodies, entire albums about how he looks at her in this moment.

"Yes?" he questions as if to be sure.

"Yes!" she asserts fiercely.

He wraps his arms tight around her, lifting her off the ground and kissing every part of her face he can reach. He spins them around, and they're laughing and crying. This right here—this is what she has been trying to put into words her whole life. This is what she was fighting for all those times her heart broke, and she got back up and tried again.

"Hey!"

They freeze, and she turns in the direction of the voice in the stands. There is Jason standing on a railing. Surrounding him is the rest of their family, beaming at them—right down to her dad, camera in hand.

"Did she say yes?" he asks, clearly not passing up the opportunity to annoy his little brother at the perfect moment.

Travis looks down at her and pushes a piece of hair that has come loose from her ponytail back behind her ear. He kisses her cheek, taking his time. Hoping to annoy Jason right back. He winks at her before turning to yell back.

"Fuck yeah, she did!"

Everyone's cheers get drowned out by the sudden appearance of bright gold fireworks going off above the stadium. She laughs and shakes her head at the man beside her. He really thought of every over-the-top thing she loves.

She looks over to her mom in the stands and remembers her words in another stadium, surrounded by these same colors. Andrea does as well as she points up at the light show and mouths, "shouting from the rooftops."

And Taylor feels like she is the sun.

The End

Author's Note: Yes, as Travis said, this was a little cheesy. But a girl who thought someone singing her own song to her was the most romantic thing to ever happen to her definitely would love over-the-top sentimental stuff.

Thank you for all the amazing comments on this story as well!